Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need to improve the launching at the strip and I was thinking about installing a 1 inch raising kit.

I would like to heard from you if it is a good idea, if you have pictures and if you have good results with this modification.

Best regards

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don´t.

But the idea is to improve the traction douring launch and my doubt is if I can achive it by doing this modification.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I'm not a chassis expert but really the only reason to do a trans raise is if you lower the back of a swingaxle car and want to get the camber back to straight up. Just doing a raise alone doesn't get you anything.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kingsburgphil,

If I have to make modifications to the body I will. What concern me more is if the transmission linkage will keep running throw the tunnel.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
68turbofastback said:
Yes it will still go through the tunnel. YOu have to use a bug nose cone and hockey stick
I had to use an eary bus nose cone and hockey stick to get mine back in the tunnel.

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Munich said:
Hello,

I need to improve the launching at the strip and I was thinking about installing a 1 inch raising kit.

I would like to heard from you if it is a good idea, if you have pictures and if you have good results with this modification.

Best regards
Yes it can / does help as it adjusts the center of gravity & how the energy will travel through the drive train to your rear wheels / reduces wheel hop off the line & limiting rear camber. Of coarse your driving skills, clutch set up, remaining suspension components, etc. will ALSO impact how well your car is able to launch, but doing the 1" transmission raise WILL offer some improvements vs. doing nothing at all / leaving everything stock. We've installed the 1" raise in many, many, many cars - all of which had positive results.
As for clearance issues, unless your car is seriously f'd up or has something else done that you haven't mentioned, there is NO need to modify anything in the shift linkage or the tunnel if all you are doing is a 1" transmission raise. You MAY need to do some clearancing in the body of the car where it meets the bell housing of the tranny, but it's minor. You can bend the lip of the body or do some slight trimming. The need for those modifications CAN be eliminated IF you use a Bus Nose Cone, however those are getting harder to find in good shape and some people don't like spending the extra $$$.

Below is a picture that shows the 1" tranny raise mounts installed in a '68 (without the engine & trans) so you can see the slight adjustment that was done to the body where it meets the transmission. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Without modifications a 1 inch engine/trans raise will interfere with Empi c-channel valve covers, a long version clutch arm and a
conventional merged exhaust flange. Running a sealed engine compartment would be another challenge, as well as spring plate
angles and snubber clearance. All do-able, if thats in your game plan. On the plus side with zero camber the car has a great stance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your replies.

How many inches the transmission can be raised without making the trans linkage run outside the tunnel? (making the proper changes like the nose cone and hockey stick)

Best regards

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I have heard that it's not a good idea to go higher than 1" because it throws the geometry of the suspension off higher than that. I went 1 5/8" and the hockey stick pointed right at the top of the tunnel. I could have stepped down to go through the tunnel, or stepped up to go outside the tunnel. I went outside the tunnel for ease of shift linkage and bushing maintenance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts