Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys think that it is posibel to run 13 sec in a full bodied sedan with a 1914 engine , a have some parts lying around so i want to use them , like ida's , berg heads , gb 308 and gb 309 cams , the car has a close ratio gearbox allready . any suggestion will be good thks

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I think you could with the right set up. I run 13 flat at 105 MPH. My car is 1850lbs with me in it. I run a 2276 IDFs fk 44 cam and only 9 to 1 cp Free way fly er trans, street tires. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
The Wallace Calculators say you would need 158 hp (doesnt specify flywheel or rear wheel) at 1750 pounds to run 13 seconds.

If you pull that off with a 1915 I quit ! :)

My car is 1550 (with me) and a 2276 and the best I have seen is 12.71. I am still dealing with issues and it has a bit more but not really that much more for my combo.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I had an all steel 65 bug with a stock gear super diff trans and an 1835 k8 cam 10-1 compession 42x37 heads 48 Dellorto's and a 1 5/8" header that ran 13.70's all day long on 235 radials.

This picture was taken on my very first pass in the car and I just guessed the time to dial in, I was pretty close. Remember that starter from way back? His name was Dusty, I wonder where he went to.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
TurboNOS56VW said:
that ran 13.70's all day long on 235 radials.

Yeah I guess I took 13 too literally. Wallace says 128 rwhp on 1750 at 13.93. I would bet that is possible with a stout 1915 and watching the weight of the car.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
In 1976 I ran A 1641cc in a 63 street bug on 185/70 radials at 14.02 @ 92 mph. 48 Ida's 40x35.5 d-port heads, engle 130 ,1 1/2 exh. 1.48 1.14 gears 4.37 r/p.The weight was on the lighter side. Nail your combinations correctly you should see high thirteens. use that gb 309 cam. 297 dur. .469 lift with 1.4 rockers. Those Berg heads should get you there no problem. All Berg heads had trick combustion chambers.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
DLX-Fe said:
The Wallace Calculators say you would need 158 hp (doesnt specify flywheel or rear wheel) at 1750 pounds to run 13 seconds.

If you pull that off with a 1915 I quit ! :)

My car is 1550 (with me) and a 2276 and the best I have seen is 12.71. I am still dealing with issues and it has a bit more but not really that much more for my combo.
I thot you ran a lot faster than that. Your car is 300lbs lighter,slicks,racebox. So whats so different with your combo if you don't mind sharing. I'm looking for ways to go faster without spendding a dime LOL 8)

·
Registered
58 Posts
superbug said:
do you guys think that it is posibel to run 13 sec in a full bodied sedan with a 1914 engine , a have some parts lying around so i want to use them , like ida's , berg heads , gb 308 and gb 309 cams , the car has a close ratio gearbox allready . any suggestion will be good thks
I ran 13.57 @ 96-97 with a 1915 42X37 welded heads, FK-87, 10 to 1 compresion, IDAS, 1 5/8 headers, muffler and belt, some old 6 inch Firestones, 4.37 R&P, 4.11/2.46/1.58/1.26

The car was complete with bumpers, seats, everything was on it.

So your goal should be easy to achieve Good Luck!!!

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
HookerRed said:
I thought you ran a lot faster than that. Your car is 300lbs lighter,slicks,racebox. So whats so different with your combo if you don't mind sharing. I'm looking for ways to go faster without spending a dime LOL 8)

Well we just built the car over the winter from a swap meet wreck to a "race car" in record time. It was suppose to be a street legal bracket car but somehow things changed to what it is now and I honestly cant remember how somethings went off track :)

My fuel system has never been up to par and I just recently over compensated for it and am now trying to reel it back in.
My original clutch set up sucked but I learned alot on that side and it is really close to be 100% of what I want.
My slicks are waaay too big and I could prolly pick up some time by losing the 9" for some 7" set ups.
My heads are 043 with 40mm intakes and I gave them a mild port job. If I had that to do over I would have been more aggressive but I cannot see porting them some more given the intake size.
10-1 compression with a 009 and points! I have a complete MSD set-up but am not going to install it till after the season.
I still run a fan and shroud with a stock size crank pulley. If I got a power pulley I am sure I would see improvement. I am not willing to lose my cooling all together yet.
I have a mild steel six point roll bar that I am not required to have but I am not giving that up either.
I 100% lexan windows, fiberglass front end and rear fenders, no rear apron or deck lid, aluminum seat, zero interior to keep the weight down.

That is all I can think of

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm gonna go for it and see what it will do , do you guys think that the gb 309 cam would be good for a daily driver , and cesar that was a race only car or a street/ strip ?

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
DLX-Fe said:
Well we just built the car over the winter from a swap meet wreck to a "race car" in record time. It was suppose to be a street legal bracket car but somehow things changed to what it is now and I honestly cant remember how somethings went off track :)

My fuel system has never been up to par and I just recently over compensated for it and am now trying to reel it back in.
My original clutch set up sucked but I learned alot on that side and it is really close to be 100% of what I want.
My slicks are waaay too big and I could prolly pick up some time by losing the 9" for some 7" set ups.
My heads are 043 with 40mm intakes and I gave them a mild port job. If I had that to do over I would have been more aggressive but I cannot see porting them some more given the intake size.
10-1 compression with a 009 and points! I have a complete MSD set-up but am not going to install it till after the season.
I still run a fan and shroud with a stock size crank pulley. If I got a power pulley I am sure I would see improvement. I am not willing to lose my cooling all together yet.
I have a mild steel six point roll bar that I am not required to have but I am not giving that up either.
I 100% lexan windows, fiberglass front end and rear fenders, no rear apron or deck lid, aluminum seat, zero interior to keep the weight down.

That is all I can think of
I know you threw the car together. I love the way it looks with the big slicks! I would barrow some 6 in slicks, and pull the belt off. I saw a huge difference with it off. I wasn't sure at first but the motor doesn't get that hot, and I put the belt on when I get on the return road. Just a thot 8) Good luck Super, you'll get there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
was looking at the parts in the garage it seems that i gonna need some set of 94 pistons because the berg heads are cut for 94 and i have 90.5 right now, so the engine size gonna go up a little bit from 1904 to 2054 if i'm not wrong with the numbers

·
Registered
217 Posts
i have a 1915 with 42x37.5 heads, fk8, 9.5:1, and 44's, and i run 13.30's on a poorly prepped track in northern cali. car is a full body 58 rag, with a close box. GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
21 Posts
A new starter on here from the UK, Andy Marriot, runs a drive to the track 1914cc street car, I'm not sure what his best time is with the mufflers fan belt and street tires, but he went 12.0 twice at about 111mph two weekends ago on a decent track with slicks, stinger and no fan belt. The cars no heavy weight but its a street car driven to the track and back home no problem and its a couple of hours each way, and it sees plenty of street miles away from the track.

Andy will no doubt pipe up with the street set up times, but I'm sure you should be good for 13's with a bit of effort.

Good luck, Peter.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Andre Drier, who was running PE at the May Bor was running mid 12s with a 1915. Not sure of the specs, but the car was in full street trim. Anthony at CB knows to specifics.

So yeah! it's do-able

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all

As Peter stated above my car in race trim has run 12.00 but I haven't run it for years in street trim on the track, I've been slowly working towards getting an 11 out of it so that's taken priority. Hopefully that will happen next time out and then I'll try it with street tyres and stuff as I would be interested in what it can do.

Well done to Mr Shattock though as he ran 11.91 with his dinky 1776cc, very impressive. 8)

·
Registered
882 Posts
My dad ran 13.9xs back in the 80's in his all steel, full interior, 56 IRS'd bug. It had a 74x88(and the later 92) with berg heads, around 11 to 1 comp. FK87. Stock ratio gearbox and 8x26 slicks. It was a little high in compression for the street, but it was a little tiny motor.
Chip

·
Registered
65 Posts
[img= width=600 height=450]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/339541.jpg[/img]
67 out of Prescott, AZ with 1914, k8, Tims stage 2's and IDA's. Ran 13.80 first time out at Speedworld in PHX.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't drive to work (I use public transit), however, I do drive my Beetle pretty much every day around town and race on Friday nights at our local Street Legals at the track. It's a '68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 91 octane pump gas, best ET = 13.120 seconds at 101 MPH:

[img= width=600 height=400]http://i27.tinypic.com/28l9eo0.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
This makes me sick. :sniffles:

I don't know if it's my tire size that's killing me, and I'm sure it is. I was running 15.90's at 82mph with my 2007cc. I run 205/70's and I'm thinking it's killing my rpm's where I need them. I run a '67 geared trans too. My 60's were like 2.24's.....but I'm not lauching really hard either. If I do, I boil 'em.

78x90.5
P&P 40x35.5's
8.5:1
Autocraft 1.4's
40 DRLA's

Ideas of what tire size to run to help me out?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts