Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
MagOO said:
ask yourself if a 95-97 mph car would satisfy you...Because a 2200 pound car that runs 14.20s at about 95 MPH would take about 150 HP.. and that may be possible with your proposed combo.. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to spend?
:boxing:
:ugly:

Yes.

This is just the begining, not the end.

If I can get close at this point, I will be quite happy. "dancing:

Then I can worry about achieving the end result.

·
Registered
91 Posts
my brother had a 73 basic beetle street car that went 13s with a 1776 with some 48s a couple of years ago, so i would say what your trying is definatley do-able. i will try to get better specs on the 1776 and post them as soon as i do. hell my dads engine is a 2076 with superflows and 48s in an all steel car and still goes 11:80s all day long

·
Registered
118 Posts
blue65vw said:
my brother had a 73 basic beetle street car that went 13s with a 1776 with some 48s a couple of years ago, so i would say what your trying is definatley do-able. i will try to get better specs on the 1776 and post them as soon as i do. hell my dads engine is a 2076 with superflows and 48s in an all steel car and still goes 11:80s all day long
Bryan my 1776 was all in the heads and cam. Scooter and myself were just talking about dsds car and both agree that something is missing cuase that motor should be alot fatser than it is..
FOM

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi guys

i am new on hereand just want to ask a question
i am buliding a 1915 with superflos ida's and a jpm "raptor" cam
the car will be a full weight 74 std beetle
pro street box

what times/ bhp figures should i expect as i would like to into the 12's

what do you think

Goose

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
goose said:
hi guys

pro street box

what do you think

Goose
Whats a raptor cam? Is this a street car with 8 or 9 to 1, or a race car with 12 or 13 to 1? What 3rd and 4th gear? What tires? Could be a 16 second car, could be an 11 second car depending on your answers to these.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the raptor cam is a special grind from jpm motorsport in sweden
it will be ordered to suit the engine and is a "flat" grind to enable a low spring pressure etc
max rpm 9k

gear ratio, wise unknown
tyres 205/70/15
comp10.5 to 1
and it is a street car

any help appreciated

Goose

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Stock weight bug.. unknown ratios,, Probably stock.. several raptor grinds available... probably a total mismatch of parts.. probably a rather bad performance.. without knowing ALL, or at least MOST of the specs.. I would say more likely 14, 15-16 seconds.. and probably NOT a fun car.. But I could be wrong.. It has been said many times.. IT IS THE COMBINATION that makes a car quick/ fast. you can not take a bunch of good parts, and combine them with a heavy car and big port heads and expect anything much better than less than optimum performance. A stock stroke engine with big ports and stock(wide ratio) and or ,God forbid, Hiway flyer gears will be a TOTAL pig.. Why have you chosen THAT combination of parts? Because they were a good deal, or was just readily available? If you really want to make your combo work, find out at the minimum, what cam, gears etc you have. We will try to help. If you still have not built the motor, i would suggest you strongly consider finding out what you have. And think about a stroker ...A full weight 74 sedan is gonna be around 2-2100 pounds.. Even with 2 stroke onboard...A cam with 9k capability is gonna suck at that weight unless you run a box with maybe 4.86 close ratios...trim the weight, build an engine that makes good useable power to 6-6500 or so, with a cam of around 255-260 at .050, and gear accordingly. 9,000 RPM is stupid for the street...You will just break ****.. read up on the many posts , and then come back with more info...being charitable, and working with the possibilty you have all the parts and pices in place and about 2000 pounds car and driver.. A GOOD combo with the right cam, heads, carbs etc could produce 150 or so HP.. It's been done.. i suppose a low 13 would be possible.. But highly doubtful with stockish gears and that weight. READ , RE- READ. then ask. good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
goose said:
hi guys

pro street box

what do you think

Goose
Here's a video of a JPM-based 1915 cc with 240 HP...that would get you into the 12's in a heavy Beetle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2frvQNmuS8

·
Registered
8 Posts
to Magoo

no you have not killed another thread been busy with work and getting on with the car
the status so far is that the gearbox has been fitted (only using this gearbox because i had it)
all the brakes re-furbed
new larger dia fuel line run

engine assembly starts after easter and lets see what happens
keep you informed of the progress and results etc

thanks for everyones thoughts and opinions

Goose

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
If you try to run SF's at 10.5 on a street car, you, your engine, and pocketbook will all be rather unhappy...please, slow down.. and listen to what some others have said.. THIS plan is not good.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I agree with Magoo....cooling those heads are a challenge. I heard it done for a cruiser to here and there, but not a daily street car. also one has to make custom tins to fit the motor with a stock design shroud unless your running a Porsche design shroud and fan.
I think you will have a much better combo spending your money wisely

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to drive 100 miles to the track, run 13s all day then drive home again. Full steel '67 with the back seat taken out, 1914cc with 40mm carbs, Engle 130 cam, stock gearbox, steel wheels and old radials.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You could run JPM MS230 heads bored for 94's, instead of the SF's, which would solve your cooling problems on the street...

61 - 80 of 94 Posts