Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did vws come with seat belts as standard equipment or were they a accessory back then
just curious if they are required to be legal in seatbelt required areas?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
1967 beetles did come with retractable 3 point seat belts as standard. I've been told by California law enforcement officers that seat belts were not not required until 1968 model year as I ran my 67 bug sans seat belts for a couple of years.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
stealth67vw said:
1967 beetles did come with retractable 3 point seat belts as standard. I've been told by California law enforcement officers that seat belts were not not required until 1968 model year as I ran my 67 bug sans seat belts for a couple of years.
So seatbelts are not required in my 67 bug for California state law?

67 seatbelts are funky

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
I have heard that since seat belts were not a std part of the car in 1967, that they are not required. I have a 67 Bus and I have seat belts all around. I figure they are going to save a life some day.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
BOB said:
If the car did not come from the factory with them they are NOT required.
So 67 didnt come standard with them? yea thats what I needed to hear. Thanks BOB

buggdude67 said:
I figure they are going to save a life some day.
I will be adding them, just curious if they were required by law in Cali for my bug

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your car has seat belt in it and is pre 68, it is not mandatory to wear them in California. 68 is the first year for mandatory seat belt, but car company tend to put them in before the law came into place.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
58 Lowlight said:
If your car has seat belt in it and is pre 68, it is not mandatory to wear them in California. 68 is the first year for mandatory seat belt, but car company tend to put them in before the law came into place.
If you have a seat belt installed in your car, you are required to wear it no matter what year it is.

That is what I have heard over the years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
buggdude67 said:
If you have a seat belt installed in your car, you are required to wear it no matter what year it is.

That is what I have heard over the years.
I have ask a chp officer when i got pulled over and he said you have to were them if it a 68 or above.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
58lowlight

You probably are correct with the 68 and later belts required...

What Rich said is also correct..If you put belts in your 65 and you are not wearing them...That's a ticket.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
in my beetles and my bus i use 3" simpson lap belts. 1967 model year was 1st time seat belts were standard equipement. usa had lap belts and europe had shoulder belts. 3 point was not offered in 1967 model year. i have heard that 1962 and newer are required to have lap belts minimum in california.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 67 bug did not come with belts, but I installed them for to keep my dome out of the windshield. If there are belts in the car you are required to wear them regardless of the year, per CHP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
VW knowing in advance the new US laws were requiring mandatory seat belts for all 1968 models. They started ahead of the game.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts