Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently the generator light in my '73 super beetle came on and the turn signals stopped working. It had a alternator with an external voltage regulator. Since this issue started I replaced the alternator with one that was internally regulated. The generator light remains an issue. At startup everything is fine. As soon as the engine is revved above idle the generator light comes on and stays on. Also, the turn signals do not work. The hazard lights work fine. My tail lights/brake lights seem to be starting to have problems as well. Any advice on what might be causing these issues would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The blue wire from the speedo gen/charging light that went to the external regulator now needs to go to the single spade terminal on your internal regulated alternator. Is this how you have it? Also try cleaning all your fuses, and the fuse block. I once worked on a 914 that had no lights working in the rear of the car, and the charging light would come on when you pressed the brake pedal. Turns out a lot of corroded connections at the fuse panel were causing feedback through different circuits. Cleaned the fuses, and their contacts, and EVERYTHING worked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the advice.
Yes, the blue wire is connected to the blade terminal of the new internal regulator. I also cleaned fuse block terminals, fuses, and as many ground wires as I could find. No luck, problem still persists.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm not quite sure either. Did you reuse one of the external voltage regulator wires to run the speedo light back to the new alternator? Maybe start looking into why the turn signals aren't working. I welded a patch in the drivers side quarter of my car right where the harness went to the engine. It melted/shorted a bunch of wires in the turn signal/charging circuit. Maybe there's an issue with the turn signals causing an issue with the charging circuit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you very much for the advice.
Yes, the blue wire is connected to the blade terminal of the new internal regulator. I also cleaned fuse block terminals, fuses, and as many ground wires as I could find. No luck, problem still persists.
Hello I was wondering if you ever figured out what the problem was? I am having the exact same issue with my 74 Beetle. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts