Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's

Just playing around some ideas on my 2176cc motor...

With the items listed below and mods, what sort of power figures would i be looking at?

So current spec is :
C/R - 8.5:1 - its low i know but was built for performance in mind but long life (i bought this off someone with only the cam broke in)

Spec : power/torque = UNKNOWN (waiting to get on the rollers)

- Full Flowed Autolinea Case (all the good bits)
- 78.4 Stroker Crank (balanced)
- 94mm Mahle barrels and Pistons with Total seal Rings (balanced)
- H Beam Rods (5.5)
- CB 1.4 Ratio Rockers
- Engle FK10 Cam with straight Cut Cam gear
- 044 Heads with Dual Valve Springs 42 x 37 (wedge ported and polished by stateside) flowed as well :thumbsup:
- Shadek 26mm Oil Pump with Berg Cover
- 48 DRLA Carbs, stacks with covers
- Empi Deep Sump
- Lightened 8 Dowelled Flywheel (balanced)
- Kennedy stage 1 pressure plate with krush lock disc
- Equaliser bottom pulley with billet bolt
- Saco Copy generator pulley
- 38amp Generator
- Doghouse with Oil Cooler
- 1 /58 merged header & box (speed shop)
- Accuspark performance coil, 8mm leads, 009 dizzy with electric ignition, rev-limiter
- Dog house tinware, Alt with race fan.

So i was looking at the following upgrades...

- webcam 86c C/R set to 10.5:1
- jaycee push rods
- lifters (no idea what to use!)
- kep st2 and super daikin clutch disc

Whats you veiws on this? it is a car that has little street miles on and 7 race meets a year... will be running NOS around 50bhp jets by the time i look to do the upgrades.

Clarkey

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Re: 2176cc upgrades (veiws and advice)

Without knowing more about the heads, it is really difficult to put a number on the power output. You have to remember, the power is in the heads, the intake tract from the carb mouth, or, stack through to where the fuel air mixture is burned determines HP. There are heads done by two different porters that to an untrained eye, or flow bench look similar.. however one may make a great deal more power, or even more strangley, flow less CFM and run quicker... The money spent on a good set of heads is your best performance buy.a after you know what and where the flow numbers are you can more adequately match other components. Flow number, are not the end all and be all.. But the nbench is atool to see where you are to a degree. It makes little sense to put a .620 lift in a head that platueas at .540 ..Or a a head that flow max at .700 and you have avalve train only suitable to .600.. Lets get more info on the heads nbefore talking numbers.. ball park? 120-180... If you have timeslips and weight it would also help ...Need more data.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd also like to know where you land as you just described my exact combo. Maybe we bought engines from the same guy!(lol) but mine is already at 11:1 street elim heads 44x37.5 reworked and auto craft 1.4's fk98 , w 48idf's soon to be replaced with ida's

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would bump the cr to atleast 10.5 & see how you like it. then determan what you realy want/ need /desire.and go from there.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I'd also like to know where you land as you just described my exact combo. Maybe we bought engines from the same guy!(lol) but mine is already at 11:1 street elim heads 44x37.5 reworked and auto craft 1.4's fk98 , w 48idf's soon to be replaced with ida's
Get rid of the 98. It's a waste of a motor. It's WAY to big. Your heads font flow enough to support it. Look into cam somewhere in high 26x to LOW 27x range

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
I hope you don't plan much/any street driving with that combo, 11 to one comp and SE heads is a recipe for disaster on the street..

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Airborne, try that combo with the nos before you change anything start with a small boost and work your way up checking plugs, timing etc There is a GREAT nitrous section on this site. read what guys here do with the bottle .You may find some advantage to a larger exhaust to help crutch that 42 intake.. . Newk and some guy in texas are great guys along with another Jeff up north... your combo should run pretty good with some juice READ all you can about nitrous before you do it.. it can be a kick, or kick your ass and break your car, wallet and spirits.. j

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why are my heads a problem?, reworked with 44x37.5 k800's & ti retainers
Berg 1.5's they flowed @212 cfm at heads up when I had the done
FYI only asking so I can be well informed, not a vw mechanic only a chiller mechanic.

When I had this engine built, the heads and compression were suggested by Dave kawell of kre. I do plan on swapping to my 84 crank and 5.5'a but maybe there's an 86-88 out there that needs a new home.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
you will be fine with a 89 and that compression on the street. You may just want to pull the timing back 4-6 degrees to keep the head temps down. With the compression you should still have plenty of fun with it on the street. Then just up the fuel octane and timing to have fun at the track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Q? If wedge port , progas and other heads "flow" such big numbers why are the Cnc street elim's priced higher? I would like to find my way eventually into a 10 second car. Not planning on competing in any class just want to have a fast NA street vw . Not looking to drive it long distances just want to have it at the right time ;-) :D

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
if your asking the question toward my comment about getting rid of the 89, its not your heads.. ITS THE CAM.. if you are going to run 13-14 to one then maybe..

its about choosing the right cam for the motor, i dont think fk89 is the OPTIMUM cam for it.. shoot you can throw the 98 in and it will still run.. but is it the BEST cam for the setup. i dont think so.. look at your flow numbers and choose accordingly.

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Running 11 to 1 comp with SE heads may tend to over heat.. a good cam choice for you combo something around a K10 86c FK 87 or a 40 series...perhaps a custom grind.. You might call Don Pauter . . Kawell knows more about building motors than nearly any of us here..BUT...t What use did you tell him? it sounds like Dave built a nice bracket motor, NOT a street combo. A 10 second daily driver has a turbo or a big shot of nitrous.. The Progas cars are on the ragged ege.. Not a very streetable combo with 14 to one CR.. and wedge heads flow good, true but the SE can get within a shout. 212 at what drop? First step back and think about what you want.. Forget a street worthy 10 second car... The E is based on a more expensive casting with a lower sell rate. Supply and demand. amortizing costs. etc.. A good head..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the input but let me be clear. M-f & some s/sun's I'm driving a company truck. Or my I mean the wife's excursion for any honey do's. This will be a car simply to go and look for a lil trouble. Palmdale used to be great when lacr was here
(Lacr-Los Angeles county race way) drag strip.
Really a track car but I have to learn how to launch first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
355 1st
254 2nd
195 3rd
156 4th
388 r/p
threaded diff, kep 2 pp,4 puck clutch disk and polished 63 axles
trans came with the engine, i'll have something else in a few months

·
Registered
27 Posts
sand rail
but its fuuuuuun from light to light;-]

ill be removing it before summer anyway to have gears replaced, thoughts?

bought some heads from clyde berg today and saw a set of 910's he's working on. mouth's still watering. made my mind on the way home, i have to have some. going to change my crank to an 84(2165 now to 2332) and everything else stays(Fk89, 1.5's, still need 48ida's instead of 48idf's).

11 seconds! "you here me"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts