Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys Iam in the process of building a pretty stout motor.This is going to be a street motor and TURBO at that INJECTED and intercooled running E85 gas.

My quest

I want 375 HP at 6000 rpms

Boost needed

heads needed to achieve these numbers and run cool.

2400 cc motor.

Can these numbers be achieved without any struggle

·
Registered
296 Posts
Can these numbers be achieved without any struggle
Yes!

150hp base engine x 1 bar (14.5 psi) of boost = 300hp. Add one more bar of boost = 300 + 150 = 450hp.

150hp from a 2400ccm engine is no problem even with low turbo compression.

E85 cools enough for you to drive everywhere anytime with CE heads. If not then a decent pair of CNC ported 044 heads will do the job. Control your fuel delievery, ignition and boost and you should have no problems reaching your goal.

Your gearbox on the other hand might have something to say.

Best rgs and good luck with your project,

BB

·
Registered
328 Posts
Why not pump gas? The tech is very available to make that happen.
Chip

you can make 383 at the wheels at 21psi with 91octane? yes anyone can make 21psi on pump with no compression or timing but it wont make power, we know boost psi is just a measurement of restriction not hp;)

Will

·
Registered
882 Posts
Chip

you can make 383 at the wheels at 21psi with 91octane? yes anyone can make 21psi on pump with no compression or timing but it wont make power, we know boost psi is just a measurement of restriction not hp;)

Will
Not sure on the power, but my 9.4:1 setup has made 24+psi a bunch on the street on pure 91. Only made 240whp at 8psi though. Doesn't need a lot of timing to make power, lots of advance isn't evidence of an efficient combustion chamber ;) I need to get it back on the dyno and flog it.

Pretty sure Shag was running half race gas, half pump.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Chip

Will
Me and chip are both running squishy pistons, which do allow you to run big power on 91 octane.

I put 279 to the to the wheels on 12psi at the chassis dyno (NOT corrected for elevation), and have pulled 24psi afterward. Me and Chip both only run 91 octane these days. Mostly for the challenge of it. Nobody else seems to be pushing what can be done with 91 octane so we figured we'd see for ourselves. The results so far are pretty good.

People scoff at the price of the pistons, but they're only $250 more than a regular set of forged pistons. On a big engine build, and extra $250 is nothing considering what it allows you to do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so what kind of real world power can be achieved with the proper pistons case heads and 91 octane.

Is 375 HP all day long possible .

What kind of cams off the shelf or do i need a custom one that is ground to the proper turbo specs aka LC duration lift what no more than .420 at the cam no rocker ratio more than 1.3

·
Registered
882 Posts
375 all day long will be taxing on any aircooled combo, no matter the ,components. Why on earth do you need all day long 375 hp? Putting that much power to the ground is wasteful in a bug. Back when i was daily driving mine set at 24psi, the car would break loose rolling into the throttle in 3rd gear after granny/short shifting from second. This is both tires driving in a straight line. It was a monster at that boost level on the street. I got a little wiser and now happily drive it with the boost turned way down. It still makes more power than 99% of the big cc high compression IDA street engines out there without even breaking a sweat, and without revving to the moon.

You haven't mentioned what you are putting this in...whatever it is will surely be Supersick.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Chips right. That's a lot of HP for the street. Chip has a badass boost control setup that let's him have multiple levels of boost (5?). I have a second stage boost with a simple switch. 12psi for the street, 24 for the track.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the car is heavy so i need the power cause it is gonna be a streeter i say bout 1800 lbs with me and filled up.Hoping for every lb of weight to be pushed by 6 horses

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Everyone does it different, I had my boost set at 30 PSI all the time but I ran 119 race gas. The key is to drive the car as you would any other daily driver and only beat on it occasionally and short shifting it because RPM's kill engines not so much HP.

My old car made 352 HP at around 7,000 @ 24 PSI but was soon turned up to 30 and occasionally saw a 100 shot of nitrous on top of that, dispite this I got hundreds of runs on my two engines with no major broken parts. Don't get me wrong this car saw plenty of racing but this is the only time it might be run all out and it was not that often that I had to use all of the HP. There just was any street cars in my area driving around that fast or bikes for that matter. 350+ HP in a 1380 pound car is hard to beat! Even by today's standards but this was back in the 1980's and 1990's when most street cars were not so fast.

You don't need some fancy case to make this HP either, a welded or epoxied stock full flow case will work just fine. The CB Performance high top case is a very nice case and I think you can get it machined any way you want from them. (4" bore, any deck hight, full flow, flanged crank etc.)

Barrel sleeves will help save your cylinders from bad tunes because one lean pop can split a barrel. After I split a couple barrels Pauter made me a couple of sets I installed on my barrels using a standard drill press, band saw and a hot plate.

Running some DOT slicks on the street will help keep it hooked up so that all the HP can be used.

This car was old school with a Holley and a magnito, no electronics whatsoever and clutch management by foot saving transmissions by slipping the three or four puck stage three clutch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
exactly what 56 vw said he had his turbo set all the time at 24 lbs of boost but never drove it hard.

This is exactly what iam talking about also.Previously many said why do you need 375 all day long.

This is the same question popped to every car enthusiat across the world WHY DO YOU WANT MORE POWER ITS TOO CRAZY you can't use it right.

The 3500 HP A CAMARO MADE and a everyday street which is more crazy that guys car with that kind of cheese into his car or my VW type 1 that makes 375 horse power that is waaaay to crazy for a bug.

How is 375 crazy when there are bug motors TYPE 1 SPITTING OUT OVER 1000HP

1 - 20 of 114 Posts