Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2332 turbo motor with a 40 dcoe sidedraft that came out of a sandrail and I stuck in my bug. I just started to race it and was wondering what a good starting point was for jets. Main,air, emulsion tubes. The car is plumbed with 3/8 hard line -6 fitting off the tank to a holley red pump and has a boost referenced holley regulator feeding the car. After doing some reading I know the carb is a little small to make any real power but it is a starting point in racing until I step up to a holley or efi.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have some vents if your are too small?
try 70 pump jets
185 airs
175 mains
55 idle's and make sure they are not Ida idles,,,don't ask;)Dcoe's have a hole in the side
at least a .250 needle & seat(remove screen drill out/open,,, opening a bit)
got a wide band A/F gauge??? thats a must!!!
Hope this get u in the ball park? keep the fuel pressure low 3lbs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some vents if your are too small?
try 70 pump jets
185 airs
175 mains
55 idle's and make sure they are not Ida idles,,,don't ask;)Dcoe's have a hole in the side
at least a .250 needle & seat(remove screen drill out/open,,, opening a bit)
got a wide band A/F gauge??? thats a must!!!
Hope this get u in the ball park? keep the fuel pressure low 3lbs.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
You might be suprised at how much HP a side draft can support , have you ever seen Dave Kawells car run ? If I remember right it was 5.58 1/8th using a Dellorto 48 mm side draft, I also have a 48 Dell on my car (set up by Dave Kawell ) and have no complaints. Mike McCarthy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be suprised at how much HP a side draft can support , have you ever seen Dave Kawells car run ? If I remember right it was 5.58 1/8th using a Dellorto 48 mm side draft, I also have a 48 Dell on my car (set up by Dave Kawell ) and have no complaints. Mike McCarthy
Mike I have no doubt that a sidedraft can make power.I just figured the 40 would be a little small.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1914cc, 8:1 comp., c45, 40x37 mofoco heads slightly ported, 40 dcoe w/ air bypass ports aND velocity stacks. tried 53, 55, 60 idles.... 63 idles responds right now. I added a fourth .80 progression hole to carb that took the flat spot out when you stab it. Only 30 venturis but pulls past 6500 rpm quickly. F11 emulsion tubes, one w/175 air-175 gas. Other w/170air-170 gas. 2.50 n/s set at 1.75 lb....boost referenced holley fpr does the rest. Also, I just put a light coat of wd40 on air filter. Other oil that i had for air filter element caused an intake restriction in mid to upper rpms.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1914cc, 8:1 comp., c45, 40x37 mofoco heads slightly ported, 40 dcoe w/ air bypass ports aND velocity stacks. tried 53, 55, 60 idles.... 63 idles responds right now. I added a fourth .80 progression hole to carb that took the flat spot out when you stab it. Only 30 venturis but pulls past 6500 rpm quickly. F11 emulsion tubes, one w/175 air-175 gas. Other w/170air-170 gas. 2.50 n/s set at 1.75 lb....boost referenced holley fpr does the rest. Also, I just put a light coat of wd40 on air filter. Other oil that i had for air filter element caused an intake restriction in mid to upper rpms.
Thank you

·
Registered
147 Posts
r seidcheck,you only have 1.75 lbs. of fuel pressure???? at Idle

·
Registered
47 Posts
r seidcheck,you only have 1.75 lbs. of fuel pressure???? at Idle
Thats it.. boost referenced fpr keeps fuel bowl happy. Friends 2.1 wasser turbo set at 2 lb. at idle. . .im running a lil rich....ill take main gas down a step. Engine pulls very strong at 3700 rpm up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What's your reg? I'm running a Automotive by-pass cranked down to 3lbs, I may try your setting ,I'm fighting a rich condition at cruise:Thanks,Madmike

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Oh, about 40+ years ago, a friend had a turbo glasser with a sidedraft on it. It was making really good power. He ended up pulling the jet stacks out of it trying to get enough fuel through it. All his problems went away when he switched to a holley 4 barrel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
40 dcoe flows way more fuel than I need. .. Madmike...make sure your float is not set too high because on boost your 3.00 n/s can be overridden causing over rich condition. More tweeks and fuel tuning with side drafts for sure, but they are awesome in performance.

Racerx128..... no times on my bug, just a hobby. Madmike should have some times.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I took the 3.00 Needle & seat and replaced it with a .250
float is at stock settings 8.5-15mm ,,,suggestions ???
havent ran the strip this year ,,yet
last season it did a 13.02 @104mph with 3 cracked cylinders:eek::drivingskid:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took the 3.00 Needle & seat and replaced it with a .250
float is at stock settings 8.5-15mm ,,,suggestions ???
havent ran the strip this year ,,yet
last season it did a 13.02 @104mph with 3 cracked cylinders:eek::drivingskid:
Mike how much boost are were you running on the 13.02?

·
Registered
147 Posts
only 15 lbs.;)
I'll try those settings ,I have the brass floats,I have .70 pump jets in it too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Racerx128. Noone responded with 40 dcoe jetting for 2332. Bigger venturis and main jets than what i and madmike have should get you hauling. .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts