Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my 65 chop top bug I just bought.
Been a long while since ive had one. I love it but I am having some pinging. I think the engines getting hot.
anyways...I love cruising it.:D VR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Most of the time when an almost stock VW is pinging its running too lean or the timing is too far advanced. Check your spark plugs they should be a nice light brown color on the porcelain, if they are white or have small black specks it's too lean and detonating.

I purchased a 65 with an 1835 and kadrons, about half way home from Clear Lake on my way to Danville CA (3 1/2 hour trip one way) I could smell the hot engine and pulled over, it was baking! A VW shop in Clear Lake had just tuned it and changed the jets for "better fuel milage" after reading the plugs on the side of the road I knew I was in trouble. I drove very slowly the rest of the way home, after tuning the carbs I found they were 4 jet sizes too small! This made the car way faster as a side benefit.

That same car I later found had the shift rod bailing wired up near the shifter to help with a worn shift rod bushing hidden under the carpet!

Good luck with your cool car!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks turbo.
I'm gonna run a higher octane fuel and back the trimming a dab. I saw were I need the bottom tin as well. I cut out the scoop on the decklid so hope that helps to.
does running the decklide a few inches from the body at the top like some do ctrate a downforce of fresh air or is it simply for looks?
VR

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
On all of my cars I have had never ran any tin to seal the engine compartment and I even cut the cylinder tin back to expose the valve covers making engine removal faster. I could do this because I ran the top of the decklid open, doing this lhis lets cool air in blowing down over the engine and out the bottom at speed. It also allows the hot air to rise out the top and cool air to come in up from below when at a stop.

Doing this my cars they have always run cool, even my turbo car ran cool with the big wing over the decklid and all the hot header pipes and turbo over the engine. I am assuming some of the air went between the 1" rear window to wing gap in this case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts