Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you looking to buy,sell or restore what shape are the pans heater channels? look for rot in fender wells in that climate could be more than surface rust, depends!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry forgot to add that I'm visiting relatives in central California ...which is where this bug is...I actually bought it yesterday for $600 ...it came with a box of random parts..and as for what I'll be doing with it it will just be a tinker car...but I am planing on driving it back to south Louisiana in about a week...did maintenance on it today and everything seems to be in good mechanical shape...anything I should check out in particularly for that long of trip? Oh and the pans are great...and the fender wells too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What should the oil pressure be at an idle? With the engine at operating temperature. And while cold?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced all the fuel lines and filter. Took out tank and cleaned out with carb cleaner...cleaned fuel pump and carburetor...

It needs new shocks...what do yall recommend? just for a good replacement shock?

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's about a $1500+ car in Western PA., so $600 is a pretty good deal to me. Hertz rents pickup trucks, and U-haul rents trailers. I would strongly suggest towing it instead of driving it. With towing fees in the $4.50 a mile range, just getting it off the road if to a garage if it does break down could cost you a few hundred bucks. If you do decide to drive it, without deck lid louvers, I'd prop open the deck lid at the bottom, and don't try to run it at 80mph to keep up with traffic. Oil pressure should be in the 40-60 psi range cold, and 10-20 hot at idle. For a stock replacement shock, a standard non-pressurized oil set from Cofap/Bodge/Empi would work well. For a gas shock, you could use a Gabrial/Monroe/KYB shock, all the way up to a $100+ a piece Bilstien/Koni.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts