Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 83 Volkswagen bug sand rail that I've recently blown up the 1600cc bug engine I'm looking at putting a Chevy 350 small block into it and I'm just wondering how well will the rear axle and transmission will cope with added weight and power of the 350 small block I believe it has about 215 to 225 horsepower so just curious to get it someone's opinion on a will the type 1 bug transmission handle that much horsepower any concerns that anyone can think of and is there a way to modify the transmission to handle higher horsepower on a budget really don't want to spend much more money into it

·
Registered
4 Posts
A stock type 1 transaxle will not stand up to 200+ hp (maybe one run?).

I have seen 350 powered bugs and they all used a type 2 transaxle.
Although it will not be done cheap, I would recommend a 3rib type 2 transaxle and aftermarket internals.

YMMV

BTW, welcome from the Pacific Northwest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 83 Volkswagen bug sand rail that I've recently blown up the 1600cc bug engine I'm looking at putting a Chevy 350 small block into it and I'm just wondering how well will the rear axle and transmission will cope with added weight and power of the 350 small block I believe it has about 215 to 225 horsepower so just curious to get it someone's opinion on a will the type 1 bug transmission handle that much horsepower any concerns that anyone can think of and is there a way to modify the transmission to handle higher horsepower on a budget really don't want to spend much more money into it
350 Chevy is not the best choice. Look for something lighter and that parts are easy to find. I agree the type 1 transmission will not hold up. And one that will, will set you back $$$

Al in Arizona

·
Registered
3 Posts
Call Rancho and talk to the experts. Chevy aluminum LS or Subaru, would be a better choice. Subaru would require a reverse ring and pinion or run it mid engine.
It all comes down to budget?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts