Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After USE ended, the drivers all met online and put together a new group to keep the street driven VW class alive. It seems that this class has a lot of interest and we all want to continue racing together. So after some suggestions we came up with ASA, created a Facebook page, and set a date for the first race for the class. We will be meeting at VW Drag Night (as USE did) and kick this organization off the right way. Here is a link to the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/aircooledstreet

You can 'Like' the page and get in on the daily conversations we seem to have.

Here are the rules as well. They are basically the same as the USE rules with just a few modifications:

1. Any four cylinder air cooled rear-engine VW powered vehicle allowed.
2. Only one type of power adder is allowed. (Turbo, nitrous, or supercharger.)
3. Minimum vehicle weight with driver is 1700 lbs.
4. Brakes required on all 4 wheels.
5. Muffler required on non turbo vehicles.
6. Must have functioning headlights & taillights.
7. Must have two front seats.
8. Proof of registration and insurance required.
9. Vehicles must complete an approximate 20 mile street cruise prior to the event.
10. Vehicle must have all required safety equipment for ET/MPH as per NHRA Rules.
11. No wheelie bars allowed.
12. No tow vehicles allowed.
13. DOT tires required starting in 2013.

Keep building the cars for this class! It truly is one of the most exciting classes!

[img= width=800 height=266]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/414682_351628061546101_351616784880562_928220_280358826_o.jpg[/img]

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
2. Only one type of power adder is allowed. (Turbo, nitrous, or supercharger.)

Why was this added ? Kinda takes the Unlimited out of the class doesn't it, I am not being negative just asking questions. Mike McCarthy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bout to head out to the garage and put my turbo back together. Lil Wheezy is getting close to motorvating under her own power!

See you losers in July.... if not before! :drivingskid:

·
Registered
65 Posts
If its a purely unlimited class, he who has the most money wins. This is a street class and the one power adder rule was put into place to kind of level the playing field. As seen at piedmont the NA guys have really stepped up their game to the point of one missed gear or loss of traction and they will sail around the faster turbo or spray guys, but when you stack the power adders its hard to beat that combo.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I am asking questions because we already have one car ready for paint and as soon as I get the race car out of the garage I am starting on my car. I am going with a RLR tube chassis in my 66. This car will weigh 1700 with driver. Is this car going to be legal in your class or not ?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Pretty much every heads up class in existence runs 1 power adder.

This is not unlimited street. This is Aircooled Streetcar Association. :headbang:

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
outlaw 10.5 class only allows one power adder , seems to be the way that most classes are run and the fair way to give everyone a fighting chance

·
Registered
243 Posts
I talked to Todd Howard today ( Mega Machine) He said He is still planning to build a car to run with us. Said He thinks this class will continue to grow!! Dave from NY is still a go. He has been busy with work so not much progress. Who else is planning to come join in the fun?? Mike Mc.? You guys got 2 cars? Bumgarner has enough stuff laying around. He should throw something together!!

1 - 20 of 332 Posts