Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been digging through my box of pictures and came across these pictures that I took at ALS Race Shop. Most of you know who AL is, but some don't. Well Al Price was one, if not the only creater of the Bug O Rama in Sac. He had a supporting cast to help, but as I remember, AL Price started and ran the BOR back in the day.

The first set of pics is when NCVU club member John Holland was going to race at BOR and he needed a set of Centerlines to put on his car. Well there was ALs car sitting in the showroom of ALS Race Shop. I am not sure who John's accomplices are, but that one guy looks realy familiar, oh and that is my Orange 58 Bug behind Johns Bug. You can also see Louie's blue Bug inside the shop getting fitted with a close ratio trans, more story to follow.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the close ratio trans install pictures. Louie and I installed the new close ratio trans, put the engine in and started it up. This was either the Fri or the Sat just before BOR. When the engine fired up there was a knocking sound that was not there before the trans was put in. Turned out a small screw or bolt went into the engine. We pulled the engine out and pulled the head off only to find the problem. Luckily Louie didn't let the engine run very long so the damage was minimal. We put it all back together and Louie was off the the races.

I remember that night being one of the best Bug O Rama memories I have, thrashin on my buddy's car just before the BOR so he could go out and race. Good times man.

Thats Don Musselwhite of the DVB LA club fame. Don also sporting a mini fro.

I told Louie, that using that tool was not going to help.

Louie and I were having a biggest fro contest and I think Louie won.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Theres another missed guy. Big AL
After Louie got me hooked on Drag Racing, and I won My first of five Bug O Rama's I wonted to go faster so I went to Al
and asked how much it would cost to go faster.
AL said come buy my house after I get off work and we would talk.
I spent the next 6 months three nights a week in Al's garage tearing down engines-cleaning parts and
learning how to build stockers with Buster. Al Built me a 2010 with cadrons.
That was my first step to going really fast.
Both Louie and Al were big influences in my teen age years.
They are both missed.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ErikTheRed said:
Hey, is that Al from Tool Time? I think he's hosting Family Feud now.

;D
No E, that is John Holland. He was the first NCVU club member to have 48 IDAs on his street Bug. His 65 Bug was also the fastest street Bug in our club. I think his best time was in the 13s. His screen name here on UAC is bones65.
John called me the other day and boy it was great to talk to him. We reminisced about the good ol times back in the 80s. Can't wait to get him back down to Sac for the next BOR and maybe he will even bring a VW.

Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts
It look like buffet of classic parts, Truhaft, Topline, Berg, Engle Cams, Real 48s, Carrelo Rods, VDO, Rossi headlights. It was a head of its time. Hey that it Don Musselwhite being are model for the day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey John. Thats Buster posting all of those ALS Race shop pictures (67 cone zone).

The last I heard of Don, was way back in the late 80s, I think he went back down south to live. I had not heard anything about him since then.

Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey do you want to know want happened to this poor car. First somehow John Safford got the car & then the history gets fuzzy, then the bug belive it or not gets traded in at Roseville Toyota & a parts guy named Grady buys it for $600.00 for which was the trade in value, he fixed the bug up drove & then sold it, where it is now?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts