Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I believe The Hater Maker Pro Mod is IRS and The Red Baron Pro Mod is swing axle with IRS CV joints in the diff and the spade end splined. These are the two fastest Bugs around with the best trans parts.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
You would be surprised how long a good type one trans will last at the 350 HP level if you slip the clutch enough off the line. In 14 years of running my turbo car I only broke a couple of transmissions, with regular servicing I almost always caught parts ready to break.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the 350hp level what parts would be in a respectable trans? Also if a 20 mile street cruise was the only road time would a spool help longevity and is one available for an irs?

·
Registered
328 Posts
You would be surprised how long a good type one trans will last at the 350 HP level if you slip the clutch enough off the line. In 14 years of running my turbo car I only broke a couple of transmissions, with regular servicing I almost always caught parts ready to break.
whoops I didnt see where he wrote it would have 350hp?

·
Registered
592 Posts
whoops I didnt see where he wrote it would have 350hp?
USE? It's a ball-park assumption for what many folks are running.

Contact Mike Gagnier: https://www.facebook.com/PEPVWS?ref=br_tf

He builds and services a lot of transmissions for the USE, ASA, SEVWA and ECPRA racers. I've installed several of his transaxles and am always impressed with his work, communication, and relationship he maintains with the racers and his customers. He can point you in the right direction!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Scott Kelley and I run type 2 transmissions, type 2 cv joints with chromemoly cages and axles from Rancho. I built our race cars over twenty years ago and have never broke a Rancho trans or axles. We service our transmissions once or twice a year at Rancho. I think IRS is a over looked secret. Larry Kelley

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
USE? It's a ball-park assumption for what many folks are running.

Contact Mike Gagnier: https://www.facebook.com/PEPVWS?ref=br_tf

He builds and services a lot of transmissions for the USE, ASA, SEVWA and ECPRA racers. I've installed several of his transaxles and am always impressed with his work, communication, and relationship he maintains with the racers and his customers. He can point you in the right direction!
I did talk to Mike a little bit and he is for going to a swing axle and ditching the IRS. The engine is N/A with nitrous with total power 300-350. Mike was concerned that for the expense for an IRS it still wouldn't be as reliable as a cheaper S/Axle. Mainly looking for someone running an IRS and what they did to keep it alive.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
For a Type 1 The biggest expense is going to be the out put splines. In the past you could get some decent parts to build a super diff with better splines and it didn't break the bank. Now you need to buy a diff and side covers from Weddle that will run you ~$1300 by the time you get all the 091 guts put in it. You can run all Empi parts for the CVs ears and stub axles. Properly done you are looking at around the same money IRS or Swing unless the axle ferry gets you a good set of swing axles. I almost tried out a set of the new ERCO swing axles in 3" shorter but chickened out. So I don't know those won't hold up. But even if they do they are over ~$800. So you MIGHT be able to get out $6-700 cheaper swing axle but it won't be stronger. You really should just go all the way Bus and stay IRS. It won't be much more money depending what you have for core parts. And it is an easy install.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Well we don't have 300 to 350 HP, but I will never have another VW race car that is not IRS. We run a regular type II with bus CVs and old school sway away axles. We have been using the same axles and CVs since 2008 with no failures. App 250 HP and a 1725 lb. car w/driver. If you are goin to step up to a type II trans then it's cheaper to stay IRS than go to either Folts or Rancho internal CV swing axles. If you're staying with a type 1 trans, good luck. The cost of a good clutch management system and a set of swing axles that might last, will put you over what you would be spending on a type II with IRS.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So knowing just a little about type 2 boxes what's the norm for stuffing one in a bug. 002 or 091? Shifter above the tunnel or different nose cone? Stick with type 2 cv's and use a thing stub axle or?? Gear ratios-- what R&P and are close gears avail?
Please enlighten me O great UAC members. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
So knowing just a little about type 2 boxes what's the norm for stuffing one in a bug. 002 or 091? Shifter above the tunnel or different nose cone? Stick with type 2 cv's and use a thing stub axle or?? Gear ratios-- what R&P and are close gears avail?
Berg or similar intermidiate housing conversion to use type 1 gears, but keep the bigger 002 R&P,with the correct nosecone this keeps the shift rod in stock position, then either type 2/4/944 or 930 cvs and axles, then thing or aftermarket stub axles
4.86,4.57 and 4.13 R&P are the ones I know about

·
Registered
575 Posts
Call Rancho Performance Transmissions in California and ask for Sam.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Well it used to be you would go out and get an 091 and a 002. Pull the pinion out of both and send it to DK machine and have the pinion head from the 4.57 out of the 091 put on the 002 main shaft. Toss the 002 ring gear and use the 091 4.57 ring gear. You would use the 091 case unless you had the 5 rib pyramid case for your 002 donor. If you used the 091 case you put the 002 bellhousing on and used the 002 input shaft. Then you had your choice of all the type1 and 002 aftermarket gears for 1-4. And the berg or erco housing that changes it over to type 1 shift components is a must for serious drag racing. Now days you buy an aftermarket 002 ring and pinion from weddle and skip the 091 stuff altogether. But either way you get really what ever type1 or 002 gears you want by using the 002 pinion shaft so you have a lot of gear ratio options.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts