Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
All type 1 trannies are a joke with a heavy car and 350hp.
091 bus all the way. 10 years and I haven't touched mine.
Really? My type one swing axle from Mike was in my car 7 years before I took it out for a freshen up. I made hundreds of passes with it running a best of 6.62 in the 1/8th. That was on a combination of slicks and drag radials. I put another box from him in and I'm hoping for another 7 years of trouble free type 1 racing!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Well we don't have 300 to 350 HP, but I will never have another VW race car that is not IRS. We run a regular type II with bus CVs and old school sway away axles. We have been using the same axles and CVs since 2008 with no failures. App 250 HP and a 1725 lb. car w/driver. If you are goin to step up to a type II trans then it's cheaper to stay IRS than go to either Folts or Rancho internal CV swing axles. If you're staying with a type 1 trans, good luck. The cost of a good clutch management system and a set of swing axles that might last, will put you over what you would be spending on a type II with IRS.
I'm with Kevin on this. With the quality issues of axles for swing set-ups in recent years, there's no doubt in my mind that IRS is far superior. You have the flexibility of choosing components to fit your power output, or you can do like myself and others have done and go overkill and not worry about axles anymore.

I chose 930 CVs and Mark Williams custom axles. Yeah, the axles were expensive, and I coulda got some for much less, but it's something I just don't concern myself with anymore.

If someone is building a new hot rod with a type 2 trans, the cost is about a push either way for swing axles or IRS. One of the BIG benefits to IRS is that the tire stays square to the ground throughout the suspension travel. Swing axle definitely DO NOT. Massive camber and toe change. The only way to counteract that is with springs/torsions WAY stiffer than they need to be to minimize the travel. That right there also leads to trans failure as the shock load is much higher with stiffer suspension. But, you have simpler construction with a swing too.

Many things to consider. Many have made both styles work. But honestly, starting with a blank slate, I truly believe the type 2/IRS combo to be less expensive over the long haul. More money up front for sure, but massive savings once the type 1 breaks the very first time.

Another cost that is rarely considered is the travel and entry expense of going to a track, having the trans fail, and not being able to compete.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I gotta agree with the Farmer on this.
I cant remember how many Potatoe Cip axles and ring & pinions we have gone through.

This time around we have a Type II box with all the goodies and a custom ladder bar, coil over 4-link IRS rear suspension package from our friends at VWP.

The Quickest & Fastest VW on this Planet is running this set-up so we will be VERY comfortable knowing it will not be coming apart (breaking) anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another cost that is rarely considered is the travel and entry expense of going to a track, having the trans fail, and not being able to compete.
This is one of my biggest concerns. Being in Florida and traveling out of state to race and not being able to because of breakage.
Couple of questions-- will a type 1 starter work with a type 2 trans and any difference in the clutch area?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
This is one of my biggest concerns. Being in Florida and traveling out of state to race and not being able to because of breakage.
Couple of questions-- will a type 1 starter work with a type 2 trans and any difference in the clutch area?
For 091 depends which bell housing you use. 091 is longer than 002. So for the 091 bell housing different starter and you need longer engine mounting studs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Been there, pay once and get it done correctly the first time,type 2.
Also a huge benefit is a nice solid square tire plant,no more burning the inner half of the tire. Huge traction difference after I converted from swing to custom irs

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Most street strip cars are much lighter than 2000lbs.

I would say more like 1600 - 1800 lbs unless you have a Ghia, type 3, or a car with full interior and a lot of extra add on's.
My car is all steel, full mild steel cage, tons of stupid bracing, and turbo and I weigh 1860 with me in it topped off with fuel.
That is heavy.

A type 1 trans can work fine and live if built right, good clutch package, decent suspension, and a person that knows how to drive.

I broke my transmission because I was missing 3 of the 4 things I listed above.
I finally started to get all 4 items but I had already beat the hell out of the trans for far too long.
And I am going to go back to a type 1.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Paul, you crack me up!
Good day Mike,gearbox with the 002 bellhouse

Are you running the 4.57 ring and pinion in your car also what did you do the the 1st - 4th gears. I have a 2.2ltr oxyboxer that i am building but i want the 091 with the 002 bellhouse.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts