Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I am new to the forum. I have a 1970 Beetle an a 1974 BMW 2002.

Anyways, I bought my VW with a misfire thinking i could fix it.

Fast forward a few months, its been to 2 Euro car shops, its been timed 4 times, the carbs have been adjusted 3 times, and i ripped apart the top end to get 12 inches of carbon out of the heat riser, put it all back together to discover i actually put a hole in the ****in thing, ripped it apart again to replace the heat riser, and now i am here.

The symptoms are:
1.at idle just watching the motor, every few seconds it will misfire and twitch.

2. from 20-95% acceleration, the motor will not spark. I mean i literally have to floor it everywhere or else it is has NO spark.

3. Even at full throttle it is awful. it will run on what feels like 2, then 3 then 4 then 3 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 3 then 2 then 3 cylinders over the course of 20 seconds.

4. at idle it will idle fine for about 15 second then it will die. but this might have nothing to do with the issue because it was only after i picked it up from a shop that it started doing this.

The odd things are that ive driven this car 250 miles like this since i bought it and it hasnt blown up.. also it will still get to about 78 MPH.

Guys, I am out of answers. I have no idea where to go from here. Could you folks possibly offer some suggestions to swing me in the right direction?

THANK YOU

-Spencer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Upon 20-95% throttle input as in 0% is not touching the gas pedal at all and 100% being foot to the floor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did they open up the carb or just adjust it? I've seen trash in the carb cause things like this, as well as incorrect fuel level in the carb causing odd lean or rich conditions. Trash or varnish in the jets or passageways can cause carbs to act very similarly, but with a lean condition predominating.

Has anyone gone over the electrical system looking for bad connections/grounds? Seems unlikely as a cause, but good to do given the age. Bad connections can cause misfires, but shouldn't suddenly go away at full throttle.

Can you post a decent pic of the carb externally and especially down the throat? That may give some indication of the general state of the equipment.

Also, can you pull the plugs and take pics? The mixture conditions may be reflected there. If you do this, you will want to note which cylinder each plug came from. It may point to the problem area.

And gee whiz, didn't notice it is an old thread. Sorry. lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
The carb is the issue. You have spark or it would not fire at all. Are each of the 4 pipes warm where they come out of the head? If so you have intermittent firing but it's due to fuel issues. Pull the carb and clean it out with compressed air and solvent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts