Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Rich your story reminded me of a trip you might have been on not sure?

Bakersfield 1986 and driving with a girlfriend in her lowlight 58 ghia with 36hp engine and rusted out floors (so rusted we had to watch where we put our feet and could watch the reflectors through the floor as we changed lanes LOL) driving at a whopping 56 MPH all the way (NO RADIO) what a drive!

Have to do that stuff when your young, cause I sure wouldn't do it now.

Great event , Like they were all back then, the line to get in went from the track entrance all the way back past the RR tracks (which is a LONG ways)

Well event is over and and almost everyone is gone. Start the ghia to leave and the gen pulley explodes and throws the belt.

Well long way from home and everyone is pretty much gone. Well seeing our problem Pat Nelson in the Vee Dub Parts Unlimited race bug tell us not sweat and takes the pulley off his race car and gives it to us.

Wasn't a big deal to him but saved two young kids with no money and a long way from home!

Thanks again Pat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Brian was her name Trish Ha Ha.
I think it was 86 when I and some girl went to Bakersfield and slept on the ground next to my car.
Next to us was Gene Berg in his UHALL with his race car inside.
I remember breaking a piston or rod racing and I had know idea how we were getting home.
Gene & someone mechanic wise pulled my head off took the rod & piston out and put it back together.
It ran ruff and about 30 miles a Hour we maid it back to Sacramento.
I had a new Hero in Gene Berg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brian Watts said:
Well Rich your story reminded me of a trip you might have been on not sure?

Bakersfield 1986 and driving with a girlfriend in her lowlight 58 ghia with 36hp engine and rusted out floors (so rusted we had to watch where we put our feet and could watch the reflectors through the floor as we changed lanes LOL) driving at a whopping 56 MPH all the way (NO RADIO) what a drive!

Have to do that stuff when your young, cause I sure wouldn't do it now.

Great event , Like they were all back then, the line to get in went from the track entrance all the way back past the RR tracks (which is a LONG ways)

Well event is over and and almost everyone is gone. Start the ghia to leave and the gen pulley explodes and throws the belt.

Well long way from home and everyone is pretty much gone. Well seeing our problem Pat Nelson in the Vee Dub Parts Unlimited race bug tell us not sweat and takes the pulley off his race car and gives it to us.

Wasn't a big deal to him but saved two young kids with no money and a long way from home!

Thanks again Pat
Wow, I had completely forgotten about this until I just read it here. Although I haven't raced a VW in years, I've been having fun looking over this board and one other and I'm kind of getting the itch (last time it happened I ran out and bought a new Street Glide), so you just might see me at the track one day (with or without a car).

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
67 cone zone said:
Hey Brian is that the event you were wearing the RELAX shirt & sporting a Billy Idle hair cut..ahh the 80's a simpler time!!

LMAO, thats is horrible picture to put into someones head.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
67 cone zone said:
Hey Brian is that the event you were wearing the RELAX shirt & sporting a Billy Idle hair cut..ahh the 80's a simpler time!!
I would give you all the tea in China for a picture of that. I see the next caption contest.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
67 cone zone said:
O.K. I will admit when I am wrong, it was not a RELAX shirt it was a BODY GLOVE shirt & the hair was Ivan Draugo from Rocky. LOL!!!!!

Ok, so where should I ship all the tea, that I am going to get from China.

Cool picture Buster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts