Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most fun places to race, and a waste of a raceway to close caused by politics and greed

In November of this year it will be 25 years since the "Last Drag Race" at Fremont Dragstrip (Baylands Raceway). SkidMark Productions is working on a massive remembrance and celebration of the drag strip that we loved. The location is still to be determined, but wherever it is it will happen in November. Anybody wanna come?

https://www.facebook.com/FremontDragstrip

Some great VW events went down at this historic track for sure

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
portersprecision said:
This was the track I cut my teeth on.
Me too. I think I still have a hand-written 13.44 timeslip from my quickest ET on my 400cc motorcycle, after adding homemade wheelie bars, using green Kryptonics wheels robbed from my skateboard, back in 1978

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Chet Carter died last year (1917-2012) at age 95.

He worked for Fremont raceway 1957~1988. He drove his hot rod purple model T well into his 90's. Anyone who ever ran Fremont couldn't miss Chet, & his car parked front & center below tower.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very sad to hear that. I lived at Fremont Drags every Sunday from 62 to 67, till we moved to SJ. Chet was an icon there. The Renteria Bros painted his T touring after many years of seeing its pink hue fade with age. He ran the starting line with an iron fist. Safety First. I remember him chastising Reggie Jackson for burning out over the starting line, and standing toe to toe with Tony Del Rio in an argument over a starting line disagreement. Godspeed Chet.

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Damn, thanks for the updates..Sorry to hear that Chet has left us.. But anybody that ever was in the staging lanes at Fremont/ Baylands/ The swamp.. knows Chet. I was thinking, WTF? Chet's car was pink.. Thanks for the Memories.

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Another blast from the past.. what about Dave Yount? Got his start in a bug.. won a big bracket race at Fremont.. and then got so good at the tree that he was banned after 19 straight wins...Moved on to Sac where he won about 15 races in a row...Later, in a Govener's Cup race Or Foxhunt or NoF race, Some Hot Shoe DJ from San Francisco met up in the final with Yount.. The DJ suggested race for pinks.. Dave went home with two dragsters... Dave also did stunt work on a few films, most notably " Heart like a wheel" ended up with much of the rolling props from the flick. last time I knew, he had moved to somewhere is the south,, .Sold all the movie cars, and for a few years at the local tracks it was not uncommon to see bracket cars like Muldowney's Pioneer Vega, or Snake or Ace livery running.. I got it from a fellow competitor that Dave has won close to 500,000 in brackets over the years... LOL From little acorns...Anybody from down Alabama, Georgia etc area know what Dave is up to? If you are with in a hundred feet of him, you have met him...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another blast from the past.. what about Dave Yount? Got his start in a bug.. won a big bracket race at Fremont.. and then got so good at the tree that he was banned after 19 straight wins...Moved on to Sac where he won about 15 races in a row...Later, in a Govener's Cup race Or Foxhunt or NoF race, Some Hot Shoe DJ from San Francisco met up in the final with Yount.. The DJ suggested race for pinks.. Dave went home with two dragsters... Dave also did stunt work on a few films, most notably " Heart like a wheel" ended up with much of the rolling props from the flick. last time I knew, he had moved to somewhere is the south,, .Sold all the movie cars, and for a few years at the local tracks it was not uncommon to see bracket cars like Muldowney's Pioneer Vega, or Snake or Ace livery running.. I got it from a fellow competitor that Dave has won close to 500,000 in brackets over the years... LOL From little acorns...Anybody from down Alabama, Georgia etc area know what Dave is up to? If you are with in a hundred feet of him, you have met him...
Dave had been living in flippin arkansas. He had started a shop performance automotive. He stayed racing mostly supercomp superpro. He passed away in 14 buried in horn lake mississippi area where he was from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts