Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding a 50 shot and eventually more to a ida motor I'm considering putting together. To keep things simple, can I run just one fuel and one n2o solinoid to feed 4 fogger nozzles? I am going to piece my own system together. I figure the less solinoids I use at I learn, the less likely I am to burn the motor down. I would however use solinoids that are capable of supplying a much bigger shot than I ever plan to run.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am considering adding a 50 shot and eventually more to a ida motor I'm considering putting together. To keep things simple, can I run just one fuel and one n2o solinoid to feed 4 fogger nozzles? I am going to piece my own system together. I figure the less solinoids I use at I learn, the less likely I am to burn the motor down. I would however use solinoids that are capable of supplying a much bigger shot than I ever plan to run.
Yes no problem

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When I size the solinoids, I am thinking of choosing some sized to supply at least a 200 shot. That would mean my solinoids on paper are capable of supplying a 50 shot to each cylinder. A 200 shot would be much more than I would consider for a good while. Now im curious if solinoids for a 200 shot would supply 4 nozzles properly. Should I shoot for solinoids with a higher hp rating?

They would be mounted to a fan shroud, with hard lines plumed to the manifolds. I'd keep equal line length as much as possible and try to keep everything consistent.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I set up a number of cars with the cheater solenoids like your going to do. If i remember correctly the n2o side is rated for 175? No prob going up to 125hp on that type system. They were street cars setup this way so they couldn't use much more than that so we didn't push it over 150hp...

125 REAL hp will be a handful.....big jets with a crappy tune will make less hp and push/pinch rings...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'll dig into it more down the road.

I plan to run a second return system for the nitrous. Thinking of using a -6 line from the stock bung to a pump that is a bit more aggressive than a normal carbed fuel pump 25psi, 300 gph I think is what I was looking at, then -6 back to a return regulator. And the stock fuel line as my return line to the top of the tank. Does my fuel system plan seem sound? Does the pump I'm considering using sound over kill or is the high ish presure and flow rate seem like a good option?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Didn't think such large line where needed for the nitrous. That was my plan for the regular fuel system to the carbs. Not a big deal to step up the nitrous plumbing while I'm at it anyway.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I am gonna assume the inspector is thinking you are using one pump for everything. -8 for just a nitrous supply is complete overkill. As is a 300gph pump. Ran a lot of cars with a holley blue pump and 3/8 line to back for up to 150hp with zero problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did figure small nitrous lines would help against having the fuel system run dry for a spit second. Less area for the pump to fill before the nitrous reaches the solinoids then the nozzles. That's also why I figured a high flow rate/high presure pump would also help In that case.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ive done one big pump as well. I don't recommend it usually because "most" wont spend the money it takes for a correct system. 500gph magnaflow with 2 regulators and a bypass on my last carb'd setup. Worked awesome as well.

I am a fuel supply advocate. Seen lot of burn stuff because of mistakes and mis-matched regulators and lines... Do your homework and dont go cheap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was also considering only spraying in 3rd and 4th to start. Maybe add 2nd gear down the road. Any switching ideas people have used? I've seen someone who used a micro switch at the shift coupler for a clutch management system. That's my best idea sofar but 2 or 3 micro switches.

I was going to also use a rpm window switch in place of a wot switch. Is that ok? Sofar. I'm looking at lots of switches to control the system safly. On top of a msd timing retard box. While spraying

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So re reading this, are you running a separate system for nitrous fuel supply or?... IF your using ONE PUMP for carb supply AND nitrous fuel supply I wouldnt use that pump... Its a volume at psi deal. If you look at the vw prostock type cars they run giant fuel systems as there becomes a supply problem even at 300 hp because of the maximum psi the needle/seat assembly can take.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, I was planning to use the one in the summit link for the nitrous, and a holley black for the carbs. Return regulators on both systems

1 - 20 of 21 Posts