Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you know the name Bob Godfrey from the 80s and 90s you know Bob was one of the fastest cars in California back then and was always going faster

His company Car Craft is still around

Ever wonder where he went to?

His first (I think) ghia

The same ghia with new paint

Then he got a little more serious and built this ghia for match racing which was popular back then for the fastest VW to do. This car ended up wrecked unfortunatly

Match racing a V8 maverick , this was a big deal back then and always had the crowd going nuts when the VW beat the V8s

Then he went with the funny car trend that Cory Mac, Engine Masters, etc all did with this Scirroco funny car

Well he loved the Funny car enough he stuck with it, but switched to the nostalgia circuit with the big boys and still is racing

http://bobgodfreyracing.com/

https://www.facebook.com/bobgodfrey.racing

So there is a "Where are they Now"

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
He's still there coating headers. Loved his early Ghia. Ran in the 9s at 140 or 150 with a 72x92 motor. Well he had 3 piston sets. 91mm 91.5mm and 92. When the barrels wore he would hone and move up to next set.
Very cool guy to talk to.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
As memory recalls, he painted a lot of other VW racers' cars back in the day, as well... some pretty sweet schemes were turned out by Godfrey.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Tims car has Godfrey flames on it --- --- rumor has it that his dog is using the vw body as his dog house right now

ps... You should see his funny car when he puts the altered body on it --- that is cool

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Say, that's right, Godfrey was running an altered a number of years ago... saw some video footage of that from some of my old tapes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Brian Watts said:

Then he got a little more serious and built this ghia for match racing which was popular back then for the fastest VW to do. This car ended up wrecked unfortunatly

I'd say that it's the same car. Look at the windscreen and the cage, and the relationship between the two. Looks like a longer front, a wider rear and the suspension changed to suit at each end. I like it best in the white and blue tho!

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Brian Watts said:
If you know the name Bob Godfrey from the 80s and 90s you know Bob was one of the fastest cars in California back then and was always going faster

Well he loved the Funny car enough he stuck with it, but switched to the nostalgia circuit with the big boys and still is racing
not only 'still racing' but doing well. He won the prestigious March Meet a few years ago in Nostalgia t/FC

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neil Davies said:
I'd say that it's the same car. Look at the windscreen and the cage, and the relationship between the two. Looks like a longer front, a wider rear and the suspension changed to suit at each end. I like it best in the white and blue tho!
Yea , stretched front end.

That was popular back then, Jimmy Larsen and other did it also

·
Registered
21 Posts
Brian Watts said:

So there is a "Where are they Now"
that ghia was destroyed at the 86 vw spring championship at bakersfield

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
ryan68bug said:
Think the rebuilt car was featured in July '87 Hot VWs? I was just reading that issue the other night...
yes it in the 87 issue , and reading that one yesterday evening i will scan and post here :thumbsup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
speedwell said:
yes it in the 87 issue , and reading that one yesterday evening i will scan and post here :thumbsup:
Isn't it funny how we always seem to trawl through the old issues.... Please post up the feature.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i try again

nothing here's the message i've : Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again.

but were 're those filename ???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts