Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The final round between Bobby Miller and Roger Crawford was one of the best final round races i've seen in a while. Certainly the best since Red Baron Vs Roger a couple of years ago. I was standing about +500 feet down track and Roger was ahead Bobby by 3/4 car length but Bobby pulled ahead with the car sideways going throught the lights! :bugeye:

Did anybody get a video of that pass? It was a great race glad nobody crashed as the track was pretty slick. Even Greg Tims got the car loose in the semi final round of Super Stock.

Lee G.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
X2!
Definately a really good final round. I went to get my time slips so I was at the finish line watching the race. Man oh Man bobbys got a set for staying in it and driving around at the top end! Congrats!

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Lee, thanks for the race report. It would be nice if someone had video of that run. Post it if you got it.

Congrats Bobby and Mark. Can't wait to see you guys racing at Sac.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
There were 10 Outlaw Turbo cars
John Meade, Bobby Miller, Craig Gibbs, Buster John, Jacob Garza(first OT race), Karl Koppenhaver, Lance Gregory, Tony Ettensperger(first OT race), Roger Crawford, and Martin Jimeno Jr.

All of them did an amazing job driving on the Very Green Track; the BugIn staff ran T-1, T-2, T-3 P/P Q-16 cars for about 2 hours to get some rubber on the track before having the OT cars on the track, well… it was hard to watch good friends lay it out there… a lot of smart drivers yesterday!! As the day progressed the track was getting a little better, but no where we needed it to be…

#1 qualifier was Karl with a 6.22 followed by Roger #2

First round
Craig over Karl … Karl lifted on the top end to save his car in the RIGHT lane and Craig just won…. Sorry I don’t have the time sheets
Roger over John M. John got him off the line Very good race!!
Bobby over Buster... Buster had a hard launch left ,did a good job gathering it up and almost got back to Bobby on the top end
Martin over Tony… Both teams Thrashed at the lunch break, Martin changing a clutch and Tony transmission and shifting issues but both made the call for first round!!!

2nd round we had an oil down in the left lane top end about 330’ mark past the finish line.. right before the round….. It was a big effect on the OT racing the rest of the day
Roger over Martin … Roger almost lost it at the 330’ and got out of it and slowly got back into it, and just got the win
Bobby over Craig one of the best races of the day! both had to drive hard Bobby tiptoed to the win in the left lane

Final round… like someone said it was one of the best OT race ever!! and one of the craziest :bugeye: I have ever seen…. Outside of the race with Red Baron Vs Roger….. Roget took the left lane after a lot of debate in the HOP pits on what lane to take After Roger’s Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in that lane just the race before?? It was door handle to door handle all the way down the track, but it was crazy, Roger was driving his heart out trying to keep it straight after ½ track … and then there was Bobby……. he was all over the place he was about 3” from the wall and sideways.. Both lifted at the top end to save their cars 6.29 to a 6.33 Roger said “ I looked over at him and he was just plane sideway? it was a crazy race man!!!!” :crazydriver:

I would like to thank all the drivers .. They did a good job on a very green track.. Also Big thanks to Rancho and Periscope Enterprises for the Outlaw Turbo class, and I would also like to thank Marty for starting Outlaw Turbo, and Ron keeping it going…. something that started with a phone call between Marty and Hector …. WOW… what a race..

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Here we go. Reminded me of when Roger ran that red car a fer years back. Pics buy Julie

[img= width=800 height=533]http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7388/img7389n.jpg[/img]
[img= width=800 height=533]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7586/img7390kp.jpg[/img]
[img= width=800 height=533]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5135/img7391w.jpg[/img]
[img= width=800 height=533]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/8467/img7392u.jpg[/img]
[img= width=800 height=533]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3366/img7393kl.jpg[/img]
[img= width=800 height=533]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7081/img7394fd.jpg[/img]
[img= width=800 height=533]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6927/img7395r.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Look at the first photo of Julie Davis photos!!!
Bobby’s back tire on the left side and look at the tire mark on the track, follow it back to the wall?? WOW!!!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
A classic photo above of one of the many dips in the track surface that "loads", then "unloads" the cars suspension at speed. The really fast cars have no business on this parking lot, that doubles as a race track. Kudos to the guys that parked their cars in the interest of safety. Seems to me that if they want to continue this facility as a drag strip they need to level the track and invest in some real dragstrip "track prep" equipment. Or maybe just continue to run it as a "Street Legal" track.

It was nice that the Pro Mod guys brought their cars out to show the spectators what real VW powered race cars look like. Glad that no cars were hurt.

The Bug-In return road was designed by the same guy that laid out the Autopia course at Disneyland, or maybe he was just a GoKart racer. He certainly never experienced pulling a race car on the end of a tow rope, trying to make a tight U-Turn!

All in all, I would call the Bug-In a great success for our hobby after such a slow start to the So. Cal racing season with two track closures. Bug-In ran a smooth, well running event considering all the obstacles they had to overcome. It was encouraging "to see" the great turn out of spectators, the car show, and the swap meet. Looking forward to The Classic, and the BOR coming events.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Jon Schweers said:
There were 10 Outlaw Turbo cars
John Meade, Bobby Miller, Craig Gibbs, Buster John, Jacob Garza(first OT race), Karl Koppenhaver, Lance Gregory, Tony Ettensperger(first OT race), Roger Crawford, and Martin Jimeno Jr.

All of them did an amazing job driving on the Very Green Track; the BugIn staff ran T-1, T-2, T-3 P/P Q-16 cars for about 2 hours to get some rubber on the track before having the OT cars on the track, well… it was hard to watch good friends lay it out there… a lot of smart drivers yesterday!! As the day progressed the track was getting a little better, but no where we needed it to be…

#1 qualifier was Karl with a 6.22 followed by Roger #2

First round
Craig over Karl … Karl lifted on the top end to save his car in the RIGHT lane and Craig just won…. Sorry I don’t have the time sheets
Roger over John M. John got him off the line Very good race!!
Bobby over Buster... Buster had a hard launch left ,did a good job gathering it up and almost got back to Bobby on the top end
Martin over Tony… Both teams Thrashed at the lunch break, Martin changing a clutch and Tony transmission and shifting issues but both made the call for first round!!!

2nd round we had an oil down in the left lane top end about 330’ mark past the finish line.. right before the round….. It was a big effect on the OT racing the rest of the day
Roger over Martin … Roger almost lost it at the 330’ and got out of it and slowly got back into it, and just got the win
Bobby over Craig one of the best races of the day! both had to drive hard Bobby tiptoed to the win in the left lane

Final round… like someone said it was one of the best OT race ever!! and one of the craziest :bugeye: I have ever seen…. Outside of the race with Red Baron Vs Roger….. Roget took the left lane after a lot of debate in the HOP pits on what lane to take After Roger’s Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in that lane just the race before?? It was door handle to door handle all the way down the track, but it was crazy, Roger was driving his heart out trying to keep it straight after ½ track … and then there was Bobby……. he was all over the place he was about 3” from the wall and sideways.. Both lifted at the top end to save their cars 6.29 to a 6.33 Roger said “ I looked over at him and he was just plane sideway? it was a crazy race man!!!!” :crazydriver:

I would like to thank all the drivers .. They did a good job on a very green track.. Also Big thanks to Rancho and Periscope Enterprises for the Outlaw Turbo class, and I would also like to thank Marty for starting Outlaw Turbo, and Ron keeping it going…. something that started with a phone call between Marty and Hector …. WOW… what a race..
Great Report Jon, you should do them more often your good at it!

Very appreciated

Nice turnout for OT!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
John Palmer said:
The Bug-In return road was designed by the same guy that laid out the Autopia course at Disneyland, or maybe he was just a GoKart racer. He certainly never experienced pulling a race car on the end of a tow rope, trying to make a tight U-Turn!
Hahaha...My thought exactly. Try driving a long narrow thing thru those 120 degree/90degree corners. Some cones got taken out yesterday that's forsure...lol

Thanks to Ron Flemming and crew the show was A PACKED HOUSE! I could believe how many people attended. Just shows you how much So Cal and other that made the drive really enjoy this type of good fun!
Thanks again for making this happen. See ya at he classic!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We had alot of fun yesterday. I brought my two daughters with me and they had sooo much fun going down the track in the tow vechicle. They got such a kick out of being in the middle of the action.
The Outlaw Turbo class was a good turnout. Roger put us on the trailer again in second round.lol. Marty said, one of these days I'm gonna get him. haha. we all know Big Rog could build some wicked motor and jack us all up, but he chooses to kick (Almost) everyones butt with a set of dual carbs. haha. congrats rog, your ghia is bad to the bone.

Anyway, Congrats to Bobby Miller for the win. I didn't get to see the final but reviewed it on video. man.....what a race.
Also, like to say thanks and good job to Jon Schweers for the good communication in regards to keeping everything running smooth in OT. He went well beyond what most due to insure we were informed.

Although, we never really got a handle on Martins car, we had a blast. We changed a clutch from start to finish in under 30mins. We worked really well together as a team and that's what made it worthwhile. The track surface sucked, we could just not get any traction. (this was to be expected though) We turned the boost down some from the prior event, aired the tires down to 8 lbs, and still wasn't gett'n traction.
I will say, that this was Great seat time for Marty though. That'll teach ya how to drive under all circumstances. Not every time is the track going to be perfect. You have to adapt, and that's what makes a good racer.

Can't wait to finish a couple other projects and start attending more events. IMO, there's nothing better than racing these little VW's. We are so stoked Drag Racing is back at Irwindale. I feel some Thursday nite T&T will be in our near future. Until next time guys.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Where's the pictures of your daughters at Jason? You've got a very good point about having to adapt to the track and conditions. I felt comfortable and had no issues with the track. See ya around the track
Chad

·
Registered
979 Posts
Great racin all around. I got video from the starting line, you can really see how crazy it was.
Congrats to Bobby on the well deserved win!!!

A number 2 qualifyer and a runner up....... Not bad for a super street car :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts