Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
2881 - 2900 of 2938 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,885 ·
Thanks Brian.. Picked one up today. Now just waiting to get my turbo back.. And after the conversation I had with my turbo guy I'm not real confident in him anymore.. He basically was giving me advise on what I should do before he even checked it.. I simply wanted his opinion of the condition of my bearing housing.. I received a half ass action plan. Anyways I spoke with Mike at turbos direct and was very pleased with what he had to say.. He gave me an outstanding price on rebuilding my turbo including installing the new billet compressor wheel.. The price was dependent on having a good core. Anyways I'm sure I'll be sending my business his way.

Here's a picture of the billet hockey stick on the left.. Bent stock one on the right.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,150 Posts
Brian Sanders was fortunate to get one from me as these were sold out several months ago. Dave Folts(DFT) had Eric (ERCO) market them. A batch of 100 of them were made and Dave claims he won't do another production run. Before they ran out Merjano (ARC) & I bought out remaining inventory. Now it seems were out except for our personal stuff. I've tested one for a year and there awsome.

Now you can figure out the Meny case connection (DECO). It's Dave (DFT) & Eric(ERCO) Company = DECO.
 

·
Retired Administrator
Joined
·
12,852 Posts
Brian Sanders said:
Thanks Brian.. Picked one up today. Now just waiting to get my turbo back.. And after the conversation I had with my turbo guy I'm not real confident in him anymore.. He basically was giving me advise on what I should do before he even checked it.. I simply wanted his opinion of the condition of my bearing housing.. I received a half ass action plan. Anyways I spoke with Mike at turbos direct and was very pleased with what he had to say.. He gave me an outstanding price on rebuilding my turbo including installing the new billet compressor wheel.. The price was dependent on having a good core. Anyways I'm sure I'll be sending my business his way.

Here's a picture of the billet hockey stick on the left.. Bent stock one on the right.

Oh cool good stuff

Hope it gets you fixed and running hard
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,888 ·
Funny...I forgot about the billet hockey stick until just now... My priorities have been shifted away from the car. With a hurt turbo and no "help" I thought I was done for the season. Turns out that's not the case. I've been busting my ass flipping cars, side jobs Etc and I was able to set a side some cash for the race car and send my turbo to Turbos direct. Mike gave me a couple options and as soon as I chose I had the turbo back in a few days. I upgraded to the GSX wheel and it looks sweet. With a busy weekend ahead already I'm hoping to get the car together Sunday and fire it. If all is well my plan is to come run at Bugo. The clutch is serviced and I'm hoping to really lean on it out of the hole since we've figured out my two-step back fire deal. I hope to have some fun and drive it on the trailer at the end of the weekend.
See you there. Stop by and say high. I'm not as big of a jerk as you may think. ( just sometimes)

Here's my unit... :)



 

·
Retired Administrator
Joined
·
12,852 Posts
Brian Sanders said:
send my turbo to Turbos direct. Mike gave me a couple options and as soon as I chose I had the turbo back in a few days. I upgraded to the GSX wheel and it looks sweet.
Mike is a great guy for customer service and takes good care of our UAC members with quick turn around.


Glad to hear your gonna get it back together and be there to race
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,895 ·
gramazone said:
put the 8.90 tune in your back pocket this time..BOB will need it..LOL...yah think the blue ghia with the turbo might sneak up on BOB
My poor little engine needs some love...Hope Mike doent show up and throw off the gloves. I found my oil has some metalic to it. No flakes in the filter so I'm flushing the engine and running it.

Im hoping to go through it over the winter and build it. Need to do something about the head too. I think My springs may have gone away. It seems to get very upset if I take it over 7k....7k and 30 lbs boost may be pushing a valve open? Not sure whats going on. I do know the answer is usually $$$. Money fixes most issues in drag racing.

On top of wanting to build the engine I need paint the car. I have an opportunity to get the car into the Autorama early next year. Something I never thought about but I think would be a cool experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
Brian Sanders said:
My poor little engine needs some love...Hope Mike doent show up and throw off the gloves.
We'll be bringing my son's car this time. Our match race will have to wait for another day. So don't go leanin' on it on my account Brian. Take the time to get it right.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,897 ·
Safety first while transporting.


Admiring the GSX wheel


Checking our cad drawing


Version one


Version two


This one piece 10ga bracket is what I hope to prevent from destroying my turbo. Hopefully now the boost pipe/clamp is the weakest point and in case of a back fire.

This is what happened... These were what I thought an upgrade to the stock clamps but that may have not been the case... I do know the stock clams didn't fair well in the past either though.
What you can't see is a broken back plate and warped comp housing.
 
2881 - 2900 of 2938 Posts
Top