Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
2901 - 2920 of 2938 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
My friend Mike has 4 panels on his turbo nitrous drag bike and they have saved him money more than once by blowing out. He has the solid metal disk kind but is looking into the spring type so he can stop buying the one time use panels.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,903 ·
Did a quick read on these. Looks like it would work well for me at my boost pressure. It says it starts to blead at 35 psi and since its spring loaded it allows for a quick reset that can help you to finish the pass.
Something to think about over the winter. I'll add it to the list.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,904 ·
I'm all set to come out and play. Car is done and tucked away. I plan to dial the CM way back and leave my wheelie bars in the trailer loading position. Looking for some serious wheels up action. Also went another spring heavier on the secondary side to ensure I can stay on the two step without issues. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have called the two companies that make the spring loaded version and they both claim they will not work on boost applications. They are designed for vacuum or near zero vacuum. I asked if we could installed stiffer springs and the guy said maybe. I think Ray Mejia has an older style and they leaked pressure on his motor.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
MicahAdams said:
I have called the two companies that make the spring loaded version and they both claim they will not work on boost applications. They are designed for vacuum or near zero vacuum. I asked if we could installed stiffer springs and the guy said maybe. I think Ray Mejia has an older style and they leaked pressure on his motor.
Someone sells them for blower applications I didn't read that ad to see what application it was for that is why I said "like this one", most 6-71 and up blown cars have a spring loaded oval shaped burst panel with two springs on the intake manifold so they are out there for boosted applications.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Brian Sanders said:
I'm all set to come out and play. Car is done and tucked away. I plan to dial the CM way back and leave my wheelie bars in the trailer loading position. Looking for some serious wheels up action. Also went another spring heavier on the secondary side to ensure I can stay on the two step without issues. Should be interesting.
Awesome

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,911 ·
Yep, thought about that. But it's a fire ball that burns out quick. It's not like napalm. If I did a burst panel it would be on the end of my intake. It would be directed out the back of the car into open air.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
The problem with the sheetmetal type panels is that over time they fatigue just from the pressure flexing them and burst with no backfire costing you a win in a race.

I think that you and Doug could manufacture your own pop off plate with some light valve springs and retainers and some aluminum stock. To test the opening pressure and adjust it can be done by blocking the ends of the tube you put it in and adding air pressure. To seal the plate machine a ring to hold an O ring.

Maybe make a large rounded square plate with four springs in the corners so it can have a big hole for the air to escape.

I am just guessing but I bet that it takes more than 100 pounds of pressure to bend those tabs on the back of the compressor housing.

2901 - 2920 of 2938 Posts