Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
2921 - 2938 of 2938 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Ok here is the deal, I talked to my friend Mike tonight that has the Pro Mod bike and he spoke to Wilson that makes the pop off valves and they said they are for boosted applications.

His version starts to open at 35 PSI but can be adjusted higher by tightening the springs or you can get get heavier springs for up to 95 pounds.

He had T.O.E in Fairfield machine his plenum to accept two of these to replace two of the four disk type he had, the two left with the red rings are stainless disks that only blow out at over 100 PSI.

Below is a picture of his plenum, he will be testing with it this weekend at Infinion. It's a new bike so he is still taking baby steps, I think he is only running about 14 pounds of boost and one stage of nitrous with a small shot, this has netted him some 7.20's.

This bike is insane in that it can take over 30 pounds and has two stages of nitrous!

I hope this info helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Brian Sanders said:
Thanks Newk...I didnt blurt out the RLR deal in hopes to fix the shift....I was just rambling on.

This isnt the first time i bent or broke a hockey stick...I think I was simply was too rough on it. And the way my shifter is I have a ton of leverage.
Brian, why not weld a stop for the shift rod to prevent the hockey stick from over extending and bending. I know this is old school but, it's a hell of a lot less money than the fancy vertigate shifters. The vertigate shifters big advantage is the fact that you can set each individual rod using the stops on the shifter. The reason you are bending the shift fork is more than likely the current shifter does not know when to stop and it is over extending the reach of the shift rod, thus bending the hockey stick. I have used this type of setup in the past with great success and no more hockey stick problems. Still using the stock hockey sticks and my old trusty bugpack shifter (over 25 years old now), with no issues and will use this setup again in my next venture. Too simple! Just my 2 cents!

Good Luck, great thread

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,926 ·
Thanks for the post, That is definitely a great solution. If I have another issue and the nose cone comes off again I will explore that suggestion. But at bugo things were working well. Also I was hoping to ditch the H pattern because i was supposed to be beta testing a prototype shifter but its hopes and dreams I guess.

·
Retired Administrator
12,852 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,930 ·
Hey guys.. Took a hiatus over the winter.. Parked the car and forgot all about it even though I walked by it every day.. After the first of the year I knocked the dust off and took her out. I made some changes including swapping out the 750 vac carb for a 750 double pumper. I also backed the timing way down. I found it was at 33 when this whole time I thought it was at 24*. :) I ran a 10.10 off the trailer with a 1.36 60'
I hot lapped the car and it drove through the clutch a bit.
Ran a 10.01 with a 1.46 60'. Go figure... Third pass it jumped out of 4th I think.. Not sure if I missed it. I checked and found I had opened up the shift rail again. So a little adjustment with a 5 lb sledge and I drove it in the pits. I found 3 rd ground quickly into gear as if I had a bent or broken synchro.. Loaded her up to avoid further damage.

Meanwhile the Sacramento Autorama was aproching and I had committed to showing my car there months prior. I talked withy painter friend and the thrash was on.. 2 weeks to paint the car.
I blew the car apart that day and wouldn't you know it in typical painter fashion he didn't start until 2 days later. Long story short he got it done. It was so down to the wire he painted the fenders of the morning I had to deliver the car to the show.. I think each one has a thumb print from me. This was a garage paint job and it has some flaws but turned out awesome.
The car as always had a great showing and attracted lots of attention. It never gets old for me to sit back and watch reactions.

Now that I'm past that I'm looking towards the next test session.. Well f'k it. There is an PCSA race coming up in three weeks. Since I don't want to slow the car for 10.60 I think we're going for open comp. they take your fastest qualifier and add one tenth to it. That is your dial in the rest of the race.. Sounds cool.

But before that the Trans needs checked and well since I decided I wasn't going to wait for an overdue prototype shifter. I decided to go with a tried and true JCL vertigate. It really has been a couple years I've been drooling over this thing. And well... I feel like it fits my car. My car deserves it.. Lol. I went with a complete set up and so far I'm impressed! The shift rods are cut and set up in a fashion to simplify the instal. This goes for the shifter mounts too. The new nose come now comes with seals and this was a must for me. All Heims were included as well marked to help with the instal.

I think that about sums it up for now.

Pictures to follow.

Posted from my phone.. Excuse errors

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,933 ·
I did leave out one part. I finally was able to get my hands on my front end. This was one of the first ones BX2 composites produced. It been sitting in storage since Vegas bugo. :) I'll be fitting and mounting it when I get some time. Then I'll have it painted to match.

2921 - 2938 of 2938 Posts