Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 910 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday the 12th, Ethan (fuel injector holders) is coming up to Casa de Fye to weld up some pipe for my turbo set up! Once this happens, I will only need to bleed brakes, check fuel system for any leaks and get the carb mounted up! I know the season up here is basically over, but I will be able to test the system all off season as the car still has plates and insurance!

I will be running a drawthrough set up on a type 3 cooling system. With some clever weaving of pipes, it will all fit under the trunk lid of the car, but not the engine lid.
I had some spacers made so that I can run type 1 manifold end castings over the t3 oil cooler location.
The car will have a T3 turbo on a 2110cc with a variable boost set at a nice low 7lbs for the fall winter.
It also has a spooled transaxle and I've located a set of DOT drag radials in 205/50/15 and a set of hardly used 6w/26/15 slicks.
Thanks to ETR, I have an aluminum seat and it will finally get some use!

So, to get to this point, of course there are people to thank.
Kris Lauffer & Dan Lawson for building Notchbacks that made me want to do this with my car!!! Your influence is HUGE!

Jason Lauffer for the 2110cc
Toby Erkson for helping me get all the wiring sorted... man I hate that stuff!!!
Eric Gwaltney for installing the 1/2" fuel line, line lock/brake lines and general crap he gives me to keep me motivated
ETR for the aluminum seat
2 stroke for getting the spacers made for me
Shannon, my wife, for allowing me to even attempt this!

Closest track is 90 miles away, so lots of testing will be around my place... the neighbors seem okay with it.

Thanks to Watts for providing a forum to share the world's slowest turbo notch with!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Re: I finally feel worthy to start posting about my racer to be...

Brian F said:
Thanks to Watts for providing a forum to share the world's slowest turbo notch with!
Brian this forum was built for the fastest guys but especially for the masses of entry level guys like your self!!

Keep us updated!!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Man... I like the stance, but the my car needs a nice matching hood!

and it is kinda funny that this is my only VW with stereo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

had to pull all the felt from the rear trunk area... don't want the turbo's heat to cause any fires!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

baby steps... mock up starting. thanks Ethan!

[img= width=600 height=450]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/596897.jpg[/img][img= width=600 height=180]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/596896.jpg[/img][img= width=600 height=330]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/596895.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

got my coupler/reducer ordered tonight... filled the trans with fresh oil and routed the narrow band lines to get to the bung location... small steps, but still steps!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I just found this.....! Duh whoops!

I give you as much crap as possible.........I know you woldn't have it any other way! :grinwink:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stupid question #378... Can you weld stainless to mild with mild steel wire? i know it is a 'why would you' type question, but i'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Brian F said:
stupid question #378... Can you weld stainless to mild with mild steel wire? i know it is a 'why would you' type question, but i'm just curious.
yes you can it is actually very normal thing to do. Just like Turbo Don said muffler shops do it and I have welded on tons of stainless hinges and hardware for outside junk in the elements.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dunno... i keep hoping the welder will schedule the last visit, but if he doesn't, i'll have to get a bottle for my welder

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, sometimes i wonder what in the world i'm really working on with some of the names of things...

last night i buttwelded a couple pipes together, then i welded in an 02 bung on the down pipe. that just doesn't sound right... at all! i am hoping that by the end of the weekend i'll have all the induction completed, less the carb/carb manfold. I haven't settled on a carb yet and my budget is the limiting factor.

I still need to rebleed the brakes, build the seat base and figure out how i'm going to mount belts since there is no cage yet.

it is a snail's pace, but i saw a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
did some grinding of my welds today on my lunch break. only found 1 pin hole which is good... the bad? i need to do alot more grinding to make the welds look better!

1 - 20 of 910 Posts