Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Brendan from Aus.

Secondly, I have reading forums for months on end (not this forum) and to be honest I never registered as I was too scared to post questions! On the 'other' forum it seemed if a newbie had a question and didn't have a 10sec bug he was almost ridiculed! Crazy.
Anyways, I stumbled across this forum a couple of weeks ago and everything I have read has been very insightful and everyone who posts has a very valuable answer. I feel welcomed already.

I am currently doing the number on a 68 1600 dp. Getting stuck into the body etc now and have just pulled out the motor and put the beauty up on a stand ready for some lovin.

I don't claim to be a mechanic, however I have very good people around me to help me get this build completed. All I know is a have a passion for type 1 vw's like all of you.
All building and fabrication will be done by myself and my mates.

I have been reading and researching for so long I feel as though I am in a whirlwind of 1615s 1756s 1915s 2005s 2226s and so on.
All I know is I want something around the 250-300hp mark, turbo and efi'd.

I REALLY need someone to point me in the right direction for componentry to achieve this build. What cc 1915, or into the 2's?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am just looking some great advice, guidance and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
don't need no 2800cc..get a lil 2276 with some 049 heads with 44x37 valve and a TO4 turbo and youre good to go..hope this helps

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
what grandma said -- I got 300 out of a 2165 t3/t4 turbo and one of AJ's 2 barrel carbs (500 cfm) and with the dial-a-jet they come with you never need jets ever again

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes i think CB is a good one stop shop for a lot of stuff . They have a good reputation with good service . The 2276( 82 crank x 94 pistons ) is a popular engine . With an 82 and bigger crank you may need to clearance the cam or buy one clearanced so the rods clear . A 2165 78x94 might be easier on that part of the build.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks bk63.
So with an 82 crank I will need to clearance?
Yep maybe the 2165 would be better suited to me.
Would a T4 turbo be too big for the 2165?
Is either one of these combos better suited or responds better to the turbo/efi setup?
In regards to say the 2165 builders kit from CB, are there any specs/components I would need to change to suit the turbo/efi other than the obvious (TBs)? Say a diffenent cam and so on?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just read there 2276 kit and it didnt mention clearanced cam . So there rods must clear (they are probly the H beams. There are a few rod styles and makers out there that will fit different . The engine Case/block has to be clearanced also but in the kit its all ready been done . On 84 and up cranks you will see them running a smaller Chevy 2' rod journal more room . When you realy want to get fancy they also make cases were the cam sits lower in the case for BIG cranks. On the heads from what i have seen (i dont have a turbo engine) most people run at a lower compression ratio then a hot N/A set up . So make sure you don,t get heads have been cut down for higher compression. The lower the CCs (in the head chambers )the higher the compression will be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks bk!
On a side not, instead of getting a full kit, is it worth just using my case and getting original heads done? Then rebuilding with CB items after pulling mine down?

·
Registered
520 Posts
You might be beter off just using the 1600 dp as a spare/back up engine . The only thing you could realy use is the case and the fans shrouding/tin . The case would need machine work like checking the line/main bores,cam bores (first because if thats to far out of wack theres no point in ) ,clearancing the case for the bigger crank,boring the case out for bigger pistons/cylinders and drilling/taping the case for full flow oiling. The heads like the case would need a lot of work .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers bk. that all makes sense.
Thanks again for taking the time to give decent responses.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Don't forget to check crank main journal OD to main bearing ID clearance. There are some pretty tight tolerances there that have to be correct, and from what I hear, you can't expect the bearings to meet the spec right out of the box.

·
Registered
825 Posts
No problem. Did you find the thread that Dawn Simas did about her engine build at Valero's? There's some great info there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, couldn't find the thread by Dawn. Will try again.

Thanks mark, that is probably the best bet. I will send Pat an email.

Thanks again all. The input is much appreciated.

Any other advise will also be loved.

What about gearbox and axles when this beast is under boost??

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
What I would do if I was you..... Clean your case up have it checked if it doesn't need major work fix the case bore it for 94s. Get a 74mm crank and 5.5 H beams from CB along with some AA 94 stroker pistons. Get an XR310 cam and lifters from Steve Long. Get a set of CNC heads from CB, take your pic, the los panchitos are nice for the money. Get some SILVER LINE bearings for the mains ( I get them from Car Craft in Riverside) order the rest of the bearings from CB get the gasket kit and main seal from CB. Slap it together and rock it. I like the CB HD aluminum push rods too but you will have to probably have a machine shop trim them up. The CB rockers are pretty pimp too. No sense droping the coin on a new block if you don't have to. If you HAVE to buy a new block get a 82 crank and drop back down to 5.4 rods. Just my tow cents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Jabba. I will definitely crack mine open and see what it looks like. In regards to the pistons, because I am going turbo is there anything I should be doing in particular or not be doing, other than running low comp?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts