Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
I'll let ya know..... Jeff just dropped a set in my new motor. ;)

However, I can tell you that Brazillian lifters, even with the snazzy SLR whizbang resurface and coating, don't work with Webcam. I learned the hard and expensive way.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been testing the rockwell hardness on quite a few sets of all kinds of lifters and the results have been mind blowing if Newk would take those out i will test them and let you know NO CHARGE.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never in my whole life seen what i have seen on those lifters,
I will tell a little of the story.
We broke in our engine the same as we always do keeping the cam submerged in oil and 10-20 minutes at 2000 rpms never reving her up in that time.
the lifters disintegrated sending shrapnel all threw the engine.
Now don't get me wrong we have had in a few engines with the CB lightweights that have not failed.
I'm Just woundering if this could be a bad batch.
the test so far have shown that this last set were harder than any previous set (my certified RC tester showed 59.5 RC on the radius which you could add up to 1. more) and the other lightweights that didn't fail were at 56 RC i also measured SLR and the set we had came in at 48 RC and worked bitchen, and an assortment came in at 51 RC.
including a set of experimental ones i made myself.
just seing if there are any issues not bad mouthing any body.
Jerry

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
so, with them being harder they become more brittle and desinigrate under pressure or from heat created?

that blows man about the motor.. you guys are so persistant and work so hard, it will be there for yea.. keep at it!

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Jason Fuller said:
Here is the inside of our new motor with no passes on it :mad:

Brand new CB case, new cam & lifters...
HOLY ****!! Looks like bad metal in manufacturing had to be a factor?

Or oiling issue?

Either way bad bad bad!!

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Looks like they were just put on the bench grinder :eek:

Crazy!

J/J let us know when and if you find out the probable cause?

Just blows me away every time I look at them?

Have you contacted CB and told/shown/ them what happened to see if they have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My only idea is that they were to hard and brittle thus why they disintigrated and didn't take out the cam.
kinda like taking you cam to the beach and rolling it around a bit.
or the other thing is fine china so hard you can't scatch it with a steak knife but if you drop it it shatters into a million peices.
we also did a small experamint and that was to hit the edge of a remaining lifter with a small hammer and it broke clean off with a very small blow.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have not spoken to CB yet about this problem,
I'm into fact gathering first. like i said before not bad mouthing anybody we understand this is a race car/motor and that will likely play into whatever they have to say.
but with that failure it certainly put a damper on our program.
Items hurt, Lifters ($100 with next day air), cam (? haven't got bill yet), bearings($75.), valve job ($150 ?), cylinders($150), pistons($375), rings($120.) and the travel was not cheap even staying with my folks it was still about $800. with gas and entry fees not to even go down the track once.
about $1570. with cam
What do you think CB will do send us a new set of lifters? they can keep them.
like i said before not bad mouthing anybody.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Jerry, how long ago did you purchase those lifters? Maybe just a bad batch? I'd sure like to see Rockwell testing done on CB lifters over a period of time to check the consistency.

I bought mine about a year ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sorry ill just say it the service at cb performance is not good. good luck getting anything done with that. i dout youll even get a new set of lifters. i never had good luck with cb service.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts