Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contemplating running a chute on our ghia for the lsr event at Wilmington OH. We have ran at Maxton NC for three years with no problem stopping but now with a bit more power and a smoother track we are confident we can get into the 140mph range. But stopping is the next question that comes up. Wilmington's shut down is 1000ft shorter than Maxton and we could possible run into a problm getting stopped. The car has the stock brakes (disc and drums) which for speed and money sake we want to keep. BUt with the stinger poking out the rear I am a bit worried about the chute lines getting caught on it. Have any of you drag guys had a problem with this?

Zach

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Rules say 135 mph car is required to have a chute. You don't have to use it if you
don't need it though. Stroud makes a VW friendly chute with longer leads.
What race are you talking about in Wilmington OH? I'm in Ohio and might want to run too!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ECTA land speed racing event that has been help in NC for the past 15 years. They moved to Wilmington (old DHL headquarters I understand) to run on a 1.7mile runway. Standing start 1mile top speed event. There rules say any car over 175mph HAS to have a chute but with our car weighing in at 2200# w/ driver (220# of which is lead in th passenger side floor and mounted off front bumper brackets) and running in the mid 140s we are a little concerned about stopping and not sliding the tires. We run front runners on all for corners with at least 45psi in them (65psi at Bonneville). I have talked to Bob Stroud last Friday but he was wanting me to modify the stinger so that the lines wouldn't get caught (his land speed chutes are $650). I don't want to mess with our nearly new A1 merge header/collector/stinger (sticks out from the rear bumper 30") and risk hurting the power and still have to fork over $650 for the chute when the comp elim. chute is only $350ish. We nearly weigh as much as an NHRA pro stocker so im not really worried about the lines being too short for us.

So do any of you fast drag guys that are N/A and run a stinger have any trouble with your lead lines getting caught on the stinger (or wheelie bars) when it deploys?

Zach

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I agree, NHRA rules require a chute at 150. ECTA land speed racing is 175 though. SCTA is the same. We are running a 1914cc at 8000rpm so putting a muffler on it would be like running a single one barrel for our performance.

Chute line ever get hung on the stinger when you dump the laundry? Only question.

Zach

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I don't think it would hang up on it as much as I would think the lines would get damaged by coming in contact with it and burning/melting them. Possibly put some fire shield material around the lines that could come in contact.?

·
Registered
58 Posts
made a alum sheild(from chassis mt to collector) it prevented the lines from contacting hedders , also put a old window net across weelie bars, but said news, lines still wrap around stinger, even mounted the parachute high,that did not solve the contact,around the stinger....good luck dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts