Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With sadness we hear Lyle passed away last night

He was a legend on the track in the 70s and 80s for sure

Was great to get to meet him last Sept at the Pro Stock Nationals

RIP Lyle

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
When I think of VW Pioneers/Legends/innovators/Greats the list has several names that pop up..berg, Lowry,Schley,and others..Texas VWs I can only... Yes,when I think of Texas and VW drag racing, that list is pretty short Cherry and Bear..They are others, of course,..but those two made an impact on me. God Speed Lyle. You will be missed..

·
Registered
331 Posts
MagOO said:
When I think of VW Pioneers/Legends/innovators/Greats the list has several names that pop up..berg, Lowry,Schley,and others..Texas VWs I can only... Yes,when I think of Texas and VW drag racing, that list is pretty short Cherry and Bear..They are others, of course,..but those two made an impact on me. God Speed Lyle. You will be missed..
Well said MagOO. Lyle was our Gene Berg, Lowry, Schley and so on. He was the "man" here that seemed to know what to do. I first met Lyle in 1974 at Green Valley Raceway. I was there in my 1965 bug with a hopped up 40 horse. It was my first time down the track in anything. Lyle was there also in the blue drag bug of his. I knew who he was but not had met him until that day. I walked over to see his car and walked away. He had looked up and noticed me and another bug at the track. He walked over and introduced himself and gave me some tips on this and that with my car/combo. As I talked to him more during the 70's, we seem to hit it off. Both of us were dealership vw mechanics and seem to speak the same language. Yes, he was very very sharp. He always had an answer for me no matter what. The young racers here need to understand that there was not much aftermarket in the 70's. We had to take OEM vw stuff or v8 stuff and make it work. Or, think way outside the box. Lyle was very good at that. I would always lean on him on what worked and what did not. I lost count how many times I would call him when I broke something And he always had another and better way to do something. Heck, he told me in 1980 to put a bus trans in my car. Did I listen, no. Broke type 1's for years until the aftermarket finally came around in the late 80's with good trans parts. Lyle always knew what the latest stuff was coming out and he would direct me that way. Priceless info all the time.

A great friend and always fun to talk too. He had a tremendous affect on me and all things VW drag racing. I will dearly miss him.

Carl

·
Registered
254 Posts
Back in July of this past year, I was told by a couple of Lyle's close friends that he had cancer. Thanks to those guys who suggested I get together with Cherry sooner, than later, I headed down to Ft Worth in August and spent several hours with him and Dennis Butts. I tape recorded several hours of him talking about the past. Like with Ken Lowry, I am so glad I took the time and talk to him when I did. A few years ago, when a lot of the older VW guys got together for Bug-In 32, I took a VW glove box and had a number of you guys sign it. Today, five of them are now gone.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I had only met Lyle on a couple of occasions, but I knew he was a legend amoung legends. I even have a few "older" v8 buddies that shuttered at the thought of racing Lyle "and that peskly little VW" back in the day. He was a pioneer in our sport, and he will be missed.

Ricky: I know Lyle was family to you, and am truly sorry for your loss. May God give comfort and peace to his friends and family.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts