Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the last 4/5 years we have tried cryoing various parts to see what works and what doesnt.Proberly the best success I have had is with k800 springs,I have just swapped them out now after 2 1/2 years as they are down 30lbs on the nose,now considering the un cryoed ones lost 15lbs in the spring tester just setting them up this is still very good,but we are using them on there limit so I swapped them out for normal non cryoed version,I will check them regularly and see how quickly they go away.The least successfull part i tried was 3.88 ring/pinions they still just broke :eek: :D

So anyone else try this and have success? what parts and how much improvement?

cheers richie,uk

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Mat Sanchez said:
What do you do with the beers whilst the race prep's going on? :eek:
Beers are in the fridge. I can pull the mug out if needed to keep them real cool.

On a serious note that tranny above had the "tips" that hold the pinion bearing carrier stripped so I had a hard time getting it torqued to spec. I figured I would throw it in the freezer for the hole to shrink up and make sure there was no way for it to move before I reached torque. Works like a charm. Next time the tranny breaks I am going to a 6 rib case that I got laying around.

I believe real Cryo is good for items that are stressed over and over. Valve springs and brake rotors are two major parts that really benefit in racing from Cryo.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have been doing this since 1999.. ALL my competition engines get this taht are exotic street machines, or used for competition.

Valve springs and other valve train components see the biggest benefits for sure, no doubt. The company I have worked with to do the thermal cycling created over 30 profiles for aircooled engine parts over the past 9 years of working with us.

www.cryoguys.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts