Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

Disc Brakes set - which one to buy?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  1bad67 
#1 ·
I am hoping to be able to buy some disc brakes for my bug soon.

Just want some input on which type to buy?

Part time street car
want the wide 5 pattern
front and rear
e-brake if possible of coarse

Which is the best to buy?

And which is the best to buy on a budget?

Thanks

#2 ·
Whatever brand you go with I suggest getting the fronts alone first. Try that and see if you like it. I know a few who had the fronts and then added rears and said they didnt notice em helping that much. Just adding fronts will make a HUGE difference at speed (freeway off ramps etc.)

You may wanna consider a dual circuit MC setup when you do it as well.

#3 ·
I can only speak with experience using the CB wide 5 kit. I run their kit front and rear, and have been happy with it. Plenty of stopping power. The only change I would make, is to install my proportioning in the front circuit, rather than the rear. I don't need it in the rear, but it would be cool to dial out a bit of front braking to gain more rear bias. Other than that, I dig 'em. I may be swapping them out for an Airkewld set up so I can run a differnt pattern though. My set may be for sale this next year. ;)

#4 ·
The best to buy NOT on a budget I think would be a set of Neal's with wilwood calipers. ON a budget, CB's would probably work best for ya. Whatever you do don't buy the kit that comes with it's own master cylinder. My buddy bought that kit and can't get his calipers to stop dragging. I'm pretty good at brakes and we have done everything to try and fix the problem but I still think it's the supplied master.

#8 ·
I'm currently doing brakes on my car. I haven't been able to get the Empi wide 5 disk brake kit so Until they become available I'm going to install rear disk brakes. I'm putting in a new tranny right know and need to get all new brakes so I might as well splurge a little and get the disk brakes for the rear. pics coming soon.

#10 ·
Hotrodvw said:
I know buses weigh more, maybe that was part of the issue. To me, they're still on the light weight side. Do the Neals state they're for street DOT use??
Not sure what they state, but I do know that Jersey Joe has the Neal brakes on his @ 2000lb. street car & loves them. Hopefully he will chime in on this topic. They are lighter weight than the CB brake kit which makes them a good choice if you're putting the car on a diet. His car is a '68 (not wide 5) & I don't know if they have a wide 5 pattern available for both front & rear or not. They're pricey, but work very well for street & strip use.
On my '66, we have the wide 5 bolt pattern & when the time came to find brakes, it was a real PITA a complete E'Brake & all 4 whl. kit. We ended up going with a set from Gear One. They're beautiful & very well made, but Kurt had to modify something to bolt them on. I can't remember specifics, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the E-Brake. Also, I'm not sure if it was an issue where they didn't have what was needed or if it was a case of retardation on behalf of the packer / customer service issue. I do remember boxes getting sent back & forth & a whole lot of bitching on Kurt's part. Then came the "fk it I'll do it myself". I'll check with Kurt & get back with details. If it was a case of retarded packing & the kit is indeed bolt on / everything you need, I'd say they're worth consideration for a top of the line option. If you have to modify, add parts, & deal with a bunch of BS - I'd suggest avoiding them as the cost is not worth the hassle. They are kinda expensive.
As far as 'on a budget' - CB is probably the best option if you don't mind the weight. Everything bolts on very nice & has enough stopping power for most applications.

#11 ·
1bad67 said:
I am hoping to be able to buy some disc brakes for my bug soon.

Just want some input on which type to buy?

Part time street car
want the wide 5 pattern
front and rear
e-brake if possible of coarse

Which is the best to buy?

And which is the best to buy on a budget?

Thanks
You will find a lot of people going with stuff that is advertised. Just like coffee or milk. As the times change think about what a majority of people are selling. Imported Taiwan parts. Neal, CNC and Airkewld are the only ones who make their stuff in the USA. And, because of this, these companies brakes cost more. If budget is a main concern, EMPI is it. You might need to do some work but they should last for 6-8 months with no problem. Biggest problem is availability of parts that wear out. If any of their parts wear out, you will need to order direct or change out the brakes entirely. With Airkewld, you can purchase replacement parts at Kragen/shucks etc. Hope you get it figured out and the info helps. take it easy.

#12 ·
Airkewld said:
You will find a lot of people going with stuff that is advertised. Just like coffee or milk. As the times change think about what a majority of people are selling. Imported Taiwan parts. Neal, CNC and Airkewld are the only ones who make their stuff in the USA. And, because of this, these companies brakes cost more. If budget is a main concern, EMPI is it. You might need to do some work but they should last for 6-8 months with no problem. Biggest problem is availability of parts that wear out. If any of their parts wear out, you will need to order direct or change out the brakes entirely. With Airkewld, you can purchase replacement parts at Kragen/shucks etc. Hope you get it figured out and the info helps. take it easy.
Kinda what I had thought. Thanks for the explanation for sure.I do like the Airkewld brakes because of the ability to switch bolt patterns! That feature is great in my opinion!!By the way Airkewld You are doing a great job for a new member of posting. I give you applause for that.We UAC members sure do like it here and love to see new members come in and join us in our enjoyment of what Brian and the staff has done here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.