Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

Should Doug Harvey's front engine Bug be allowed to run in Pro Mod?

  • Yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Up to other PM drivers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Up to PRA Officials

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should this front engine car be allowed to run Pro Mod

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
The problem with that statement and also question.

Rules were in place when the car was built.
No one campaigned for the change before the build.
Changing the rules effects the remainder of the class as old technology.

Why were these items not done prior to the build? I too can see an advantage to using V8 technology in a car and am tired of breaking VW style axles. Given the opportunity and rules, I would have gone down that road also to save money in the long run. I enjoy Larsen and Harvey at the races....good people. When they get that car shook out...it will be bullet fast. We the old school guys will still be stuck with expensive old school tail draggers that will continue to tear up old school style parts.

Front engine snoopy car.....it would really freak out the local V8 racing farmers in Grand Junction. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Its really NOT a vw in my eyes. It has a vw based engine but thats about it. May as well be a dragster to me. That said, I DO DIG the car.

Im with Eric on this one all the way around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,854 Posts
eric madson said:
The problem with that statement and also question.

Rules were in place when the car was built.
No one campaigned for the change before the build.
Changing the rules effects the remainder of the class as old technology.

Why were these items not done prior to the build? I too can see an advantage to using V8 technology in a car and am tired of breaking VW style axles. Given the opportunity and rules, I would have gone down that road also to save money in the long run. I enjoy Larsen and Harvey at the races....good people. When they get that car shook out...it will be bullet fast. We the old school guys will still be stuck with expensive old school tail draggers that will continue to tear up old school style parts.

Front engine snoopy car.....it would really freak out the local V8 racing farmers in Grand Junction. ;D

Good argument, point taken
Brian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
I have to also agree this car was being built purposly the way it is with no regard to run Pro Mod with it.
We were building a Pro Mod at the same time i certainly would have built the ours same way if the rules were addresed before hand.
My .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
you know what... let em run!


after he puts the motor in the back and puts in a vw type trans ...

I dig the car but they built it to not to run with the vws but with other venues.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
I think that if this car pass's all the rules and tech of Pro Mod, why not. If it does not, then no, it should not be able to run in the class.

Just like Ken Fisher's front engined New Beetle, what class would these cars be put in, when racing at an event. I guess if not in Pro Mod, then just exhibition class, which probably does not have much of a payout.

Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
buggdude67 said:
I think that if this car pass's all the rules and tech of Pro Mod, why not.
Just my 2 cents.
It doesn't. Not even close. Super bad-ass car, and not to take anything away from Harvey and the gang for building the beast, but its just not for ACVW Pro Mod, IMO.

Lanky said:
Lummis's new beetle fit pro mod rules didn't it?
Yep, but Lummus' New Beetle wasn't front-motored and ran a VW-style Mendeola swing, not a Powerglide. Body type isn't the issue here, its powertrain (among other things).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,178 Posts
He can run NASA anytime he wants!
We'd love to have him!
Sure would be a bitch to have to run down a car with a 15 second headstart! 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Marty, I would love to see you build a car for the class. With everything you have going for you knowledge wise, I think you could be on top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,026 Posts
I would love to build a Pro Mod car but my marriage can only survive one race car - lol
Part of my reservations on building one is my lack of confidence with the PRA. I will leave it at that.
I am a BIG fan and supporter of Pro Mod and even put up my own prize money for them whenever I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,854 Posts
Marty Staggs said:
I would love to build a Pro Mod car but my marriage can only survive one race car - lol
Part of my reservations on building one is my lack of confidence with the PRA. I will leave it at that.
I am a BIG fan and supporter of Pro Mod and even put up my own prize money for them whenever I can.
Understandable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Doug Harvey's car was not built to race in the pra promod class. it was built to see what a car with todays technolage can do with a "old school" vw motor. Now if the pra wants to change the rules to allow such a car then im sure they'd run it. BUT sence the rules say no, it will not see pra competition. We still will run the car, it will be in other organazitons but it will be ran.
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top