Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

Do you think there should be a dump class?

  • Create a Quick 8 ONLY when PM 8 car field is full (min et to enter)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Create a 9.60 index class for non-qualifiers (points series)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do nothing at all, tell the non-qualifiers to build faster car and spectate.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since its going into winter and not much happening i figured i would through this out there.

With the looks of 40 some POTENTIAL pro mod cars running next year a 9.60 index or a quick 8 at some (not all) races would be a good idea. You need to allow them some place to run instead of dumping into p/e. make it a gamblers bracket if quick 8.. min qual 10.40 ? or faster.... but seriously i can see plenty of cars filling a 9.60 index or quick 8 ecspecially when you get all the serious guys ( i count eight, Richie, FTB, BB Crew, RB, Madson, Lauffer (sp?), Lummus, maybe Payne) running next year youll need a dump in at least two of the races. i see min qual being 9.60, maybe 9.40 next year for pm 8 car field.

i see more then 8 cars at spring sac, vegas, and maybe fontucky if it runs again. at those places i could see a quick 8 gamblers class.. take the money that was payed to run pm for those guys that didnt qualify and put it into the quick 8 class for payback... and they could add 20 or so?

i see maybe 8 cars for phx and fall sac.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,703 Posts
Think of the races that only enough or not even enough cars show up just for Pro Mod. What about this new class now? No entry=dropped class next season. I don't think there's enough cars out thereto fill up Pro Mod and another class. imo
I could be proven wrong though. We shall see
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
423 Posts
We do have an exhibition lane/class that they can run in. It is good for time only runs or for cars that don't fit into a class. We try not to turn anyone away. But, I do like the quick 8 idea.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
Quick 8 at every event could be done. Give the non qualified P.M cars first choice, then take the next fastest 8 cars on propperty and give them a choice.Trust me I would run Q-8 before I would run 12 rounds of P/E

just my opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
Its easier than that. Open PE to all door cars! Then you have a reason to go and attempt to qualify. I think that towing 1000 miles or so is worthless if the end result is testing. We can all test at our home track. Why even try if you are a car possibly on the bump? NO NEW CLASS.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
586 Posts
i say if there happens to be a full field of 8 or more cars then let them run. up to 16 cars . there would never be 16 cars. if so your going to need to be top 16 to get in. if 12 cars show up, let them all run. as much talk about all these p/m cars i still don't think your going to see more then 12 at any given time. theses cars are a major pain in the ass all the way around.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
423 Posts
Jerry Spearn said:
Quick 8 at every event could be done. Give the non qualified P.M cars first choice, then take the next fastest 8 cars on propperty and give them a choice.Trust me I would run Q-8 before I would run 12 rounds of P/E

just my opinion
OK, I'm listening !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
675 Posts
First off... Let see the cars show up... Lots of talkers in the PM world....

I vote those who do not qualify drop to PE or get to run the exhibition lane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
Scott Fetherolf said:
First off... Let see the cars show up... Lots of talkers in the PM world....
My vote for Quote of the year!

But to answer the question:

10 or more cars, let 'em all run (you'll only have 2 bye runs during the entire 4 rounds of eliminations). With all the talk of who potentially will come out, keep 'em coming out by letting them run, no matter the car count. You are only adding 1 more round of racing, and I am SURE you could squeeze that into the 2 day event schedule some where. If you have more than 16 cars, then JOB WELL DONE! Send the #17 and slower cars into PE.

Click here if you want to play with car-counts and ladders: http://www.nhra.com/competition/ladders.aspx

If you really want to make it interesting, run everything on a sportsman ladder. It gives the slower guys a chance to go a few rounds! (I never thought I'd say that, but after seeing how it works, it makes sense!)

Here's a scenario if you have 9 cars: After qualifying, let the #8 & #9 qualifiers have a shoot-out for the 8th spot. Then run everything as a 8 car ladder. This gives the #1 qualifyier a little breathing room, and it makes those last guys really earn their spot.

I don't like the scenario of creating an index class for the left overs. To me, if you want to run an index class, you'll still need qualifying runs to get your car setup.

I know I don't race with you guys, but this is just my 2 cents...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
675 Posts
cadprovw said:
My vote for Quote of the year!

But to answer the question:

10 or more cars, let 'em all run (you'll only have 2 bye runs during the entire 4 rounds of eliminations). With all the talk of who potentially will come out, keep 'em coming out by letting them run, no matter the car count. You are only adding 1 more round of racing, and I am SURE you could squeeze that into the 2 day event schedule some where. If you have more than 16 cars, then JOB WELL DONE! Send the #17 and slower cars into PE.

Click here if you want to play with car-counts and ladders: http://www.nhra.com/competition/ladders.aspx

If you really want to make it interesting, run everything on a sportsman ladder. It gives the slower guys a chance to go a few rounds! (I never thought I'd say that, but after seeing how it works, it makes sense!)

Here's a scenario if you have 9 cars: After qualifying, let the #8 & #9 qualifiers have a shoot-out for the 8th spot. Then run everything as a 8 car ladder. This gives the #1 qualifyier a little breathing room, and it makes those last guys really earn their spot.

I don't like the scenario of creating an index class for the left overs. To me, if you want to run an index class, you'll still need qualifying runs to get your car setup.

I know I don't race with you guys, but this is just my 2 cents...
After playing with the NHRA ladder... I am leaning towards let them all run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,908 Posts
Jeff Lovell said:
i say if there happens to be a full field of 8 or more cars then let them run. up to 16 cars . there would never be 16 cars. if so your going to need to be top 16 to get in. if 12 cars show up, let them all run. as much talk about all these p/m cars i still don't think your going to see more then 12 at any given time. theses cars are a major pain in the ass all the way around.
I agree 100% Jeff and if we never get more than 12 we still would have a record year in PM so I am good with that!

Scott Fetherolf said:
First off... Let see the cars show up... Lots of talkers in the PM world....
I agree with this Scott, more in the past than now though.

With the names and cars on the list you have to admit a 8-10 car field "should" be pretty easy to get next you don't you think?

With a spike at maybe the May BOR with say 15-17 cars? It would be awesome to see!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,908 Posts
The poll that says if they don't qualify top 8 build something faster?

I think that would work fine if there was huge money payouts to draw racers no matter what but we know that isn't the case because our sport is small.

Honestly how many times will cars tow hundreds of miles and spend thousands of dollars to just get turned away and go home without racing?

Yes it is how NHRA and other big assoc do it and in a perfect world it should be that way. But is it feasible for our small community or would it make racers walk away because they couldn't afford to keep up?

I think it just creates a better event (the goal right?) and show for the fans if 15 PM cars show up you run a few more rounds of the awesome burnouts and 8 sec runs. That can only help attendance wouldn't it?

Just one man's opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
No matter how many pro mod cars show up and are allowed to run or not, with the demise of the mod class the PE numbers will likely be big that a Quick 8 would add another "class" of the faster bracket cars and make the remaining PE races more evenly matched and interesting. This would give the pro-stock type chassis cars somewhere to race. Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think where up to 45 potential pm cars now.

who wants to spend 30k + on a race car to run exhibition or for that fact pe?

i can see 8 cars at most all events this year but who wants to be a sitting duck? you got 10 to 12 cars show up and unless your running in low nines your a sitting duck. thats assuming nothing goes wrong with the competition. i know the three or four would like to have some opportunity to achieve someting for the money they put out and thats why the suggestion of a quick 8. i know having more cars in the race makes for bigger payout for the winner, maybe the top four. if there are more then 8 cars the payout should be spread accordingly through the field.

i was LUCKY in fall 08 at sac rama to run exhibition for some tnt, it was like pulling teeth though to get bill taylor to ok it. this last fall sac rama, we asked to run tnt in exhibition lane becuase of new setup and was turned down. i dont see bill ok'ing anyone to run exhibition, ecspecially after you went through qualifying rounds; he will say no.

the sportsman ladder seems to be an interesting concept.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
I believe that the ECPRA for a number of years has let any cars (Pro Stock or Pro Mod) that show up and pay their entry fee run in the class.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,908 Posts
steve hole said:
We do have an exhibition lane/class that they can run in. It is good for time only runs or for cars that don't fit into a class. We try not to turn anyone away. But, I do like the quick 8 idea.
Looks like promoter likes the exhibition class idea? I would talk to Steve if thats the only option in the end

Dean N said:
i was LUCKY in fall 08 at sac rama to run exhibition for some tnt, it was like pulling teeth though to get bill taylor to ok it. this last fall sac rama, we asked to run tnt in exhibition lane becuase of new setup and was turned down. i dont see bill ok'ing anyone to run exhibition, ecspecially after you went through qualifying rounds; he will say no.
He should have let you run especially with the lower car count
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Maybe I have a different mentallity but if I dont qualify then I am NOT going to run brackets,it just doesnt do it for me.I dont want to risk hurting my car while I have to wait to leave because the guy in the other lane is slower than me.
I would rather park it than do that,It will motivate me more for next time if I dont make the field,just giving another place to run is lame,
its Pro mod,not Big bracket or some other nonsense,I could have left my car in England to run stuff like that!!!!!!!!!!!!

And exhibition should be just that,AN Exhibition,something to interest those in the stands,not a car that isnt running right coughing and spluttering down the track!!!

cheers richie,uk
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Top