Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

Do you think there should be a dump class?

• Create a Quick 8 ONLY when PM 8 car field is full (min et to enter)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Create a 9.60 index class for non-qualifiers (points series)

• Do nothing at all, tell the non-qualifiers to build faster car and spectate.

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
richie said:
Maybe I have a different mentallity but if I dont qualify then I am NOT going to run brackets,it just doesnt do it for me.I dont want to risk hurting my car while I have to wait to leave because the guy in the other lane is slower than me.
I would rather park it than do that,It will motivate me more for next time if I dont make the field,just giving another place to run is lame,
its Pro mod,not Big bracket or some other nonsense,I could have left my car in England to run stuff like that!!!!!!!!!!!!

And exhibition should be just that,AN Exhibition,something to interest those in the stands,not a car that isnt running right coughing and spluttering down the track!!!

cheers richie,uk
AMEN Brother

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Dean N said:
i can see 8 cars at most all events this year but who wants to be a sitting duck? you got 10 to 12 cars show up and unless your running in low nines your a sitting duck. thats assuming nothing goes wrong with the competition.

the sportsman ladder seems to be an interesting concept.
That's exactly why the sportsman ladder was created. In the NHRA Pros (top fool, flopper, Pro Stock, etc.), the disparity between the #1 qualifyier and 16th spot is pretty minimal. If the driver is on his game, and the car is on its, the lower qualified cars have a shot at winning.

With something like PRA Pro Mod, there is a LARGE disparity between #1 (mid 8s) and #16 (MAYbe mid-9s, possibly more like low 10s).

By doing the sportsman ladder, it makes the higher qualified cars be on their game early in eliminations, not just in the later rounds.

·
Registered
250 Posts
richie said:
Maybe I have a different mentallity but if I dont qualify then I am NOT going to run brackets,it just doesnt do it for me.I dont want to risk hurting my car while I have to wait to leave because the guy in the other lane is slower than me.
I would rather park it than do that,It will motivate me more for next time if I dont make the field,just giving another place to run is lame,
its Pro mod,not Big bracket or some other nonsense,I could have left my car in England to run stuff like that!!!!!!!!!!!!

And exhibition should be just that,AN Exhibition,something to interest those in the stands,not a car that isnt running right coughing and spluttering down the track!!!

cheers richie,uk
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Dave Perkins said:
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
Tell us how you REALLY feel, Dave!

Not qualifying can be a major motivator: try towing 48 hours, non stop, from So Cal to Atco NJ, not qualifying, and turning around and driving straight back to So Cal! Next race out, we had the efi alky, and hauled ass!

·
Registered
367 Posts
The NHRA sportsman ladder sounds good to me and let all of them run if they show up1-16 if that many shows up and put it on the ladder for the competition to be there and others to enjoy racing instead of getting knocked out in the first round.

I don't think there needs to be another class for those who didn't qualify and if they want to race, they can run in P/E.

My two cents...

·
Registered
737 Posts
cadprovw said:
Tell us how you REALLY feel, Dave!

Not qualifying can be a major motivator: try towing 48 hours, non stop, from So Cal to Atco NJ, not qualifying, and turning around and driving straight back to So Cal! Next race out, we had the efi alky, and hauled ass!
That makes for a LLLLLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG ride home!

Anthony D&A Racing

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
RED BARON said:
Promod is the elite, Bye runs suck!! Qualify for the 8 car field or be proud you tried and spectate.
This is my opinion too, I want to see the top 8 "elite" qualified cars run, not the bottom 8. If and when P/M gets at least 16 cars showing up at all five events then I will change my mind to a 16 car field.

Lift the P/E (10.00 et max) rule back to what it was, ET unlimited.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
RED BARON said:
Promod is the elite, Bye runs suck!! Qualify for the 8 car field or be proud you tried and spectate.
So, you don't want more rounds of competition if it was there? Am I reading this right? "Be proud you tried, and spectate." Nice, people want to race the class dude, spectating is what got them this far. Not everyone is on the quest for 7's. I'd say if they show, knock em down one by one than....that's elite!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Adding to that, not everyone has multiple sponsors, a dyno next door, and all year to test. I appreciate AND respect the top dogs for sure but you wont have ANY competition from other guys without the funds OR the same engine foundation. The rules could use some revision on engine combination IMO.

Adding a bigger class would/could increase payout and spread it around so the top guy isnt the only one being rewarded for his efforts.

Adding more cars and leveling the rules out a bit so the guys who WANT to play dont have to blow up a motor every other race to "hope" to run within .5 sec of the top guys. That is a spendy TNT. It sure appears theres a number of cars out there being built right now but NOT to the standard of the top guys. Thats a lot of money to put out KNOWING you dont stand a chance in hell on winning.........

No one wants to see the bottom 8 "slow" cars running 8.90-9.30s? wow........

·
Registered
892 Posts
This seems to be going from what was originally posted,if 10 cars show it stays a 8 car field and 2 get bumped,if 18 cars show then the time has come to think about a 16 car field,but until then it stays 8 car field.

Jeff N I dont have a dyno next door,any sponsors and havent been doing any testing as funds dont allow it right now,but will I turn up next year and run P/M and if I dont qualify then I will try harder for the next meeting,my engine configuration is similar to what Erics last engine was,they had it figured out,I havent yet but if you change the rules to level it out,you will slow my car down as well,also cars like Jerrys which is also similar so what will that gain?

And as Fontana proved even Eric & scott can have problems so the door is always open for someone else to win 8)

cheers richie,uk

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
we need to consistantly fill the 8 car field before ANY changes are even thought of. Just because we have 50 people building a Pro Mod car doesn't mean they are going to show up. Again, bye runs suck!!!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
RED BARON said:
we need to consistantly fill the 8 car field before ANY changes are even thought of. Just because we have 50 people building a Pro Mod car doesn't mean they are going to show up. Again, bye runs suck!!!
x2

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The point of MY post ( we dont have to agree on anything its just an opinion) was how can a mag case engine compete with a AC/pauter? IT CANT! No rule provision to help the guys who dont have 5k for a shortblock. Meaning all the weights are the same based only on whats on top and cc's. Same thing with transmission choices. No break for stock type box vs a 8k mende.

I will guarantee a lot of cars DONT show up cause they know theres not a chance in hell of winning. Be better off to just give money to the top guys and watch.....

Dont change a damn thing. I dont care really. Just offering a opinion in what is supposed to be a open forum. BTW we already run a car and are not building a supposed promod contender etc etc. Just looking at what could be a reason for not having full fields...........

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I vote for more rounds if the cars show. currently If you were to have 12 cars show, 8 make the field. 4 left to make what....bye runs in exhibition. I'd say let em in. It's more fun for the driver, your crew, the family and all the people that really matter. It's more fun to be in the game than watch. That's for the spectators, Not the racers. No rule changes, some teams got it and some don't, that's racing. Losing is motivation itself, being eliminated before you start is a waste. I'd rather watch a couple slower cars in the field, rather than walking by them on the trailer. makes no sense. IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
so what happens if you run quicker than 10sec in PE? Do you get DQ'd, a lecture, dirty looks? I say those who don't make the 8 car field and are left with only PE race for a side pot where you dial 10sec, don't lift and whoever puts down the fastest run (and looses PE) wins the pot.... or i guess same thing if there are exibition runs....

21 - 40 of 70 Posts