Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

East coast super beetle drag car

69359 Views 471 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  Leonl
This car really isn't a "project", but since I am always changing it, it's kind of always a project. Like most cars I think! I think I will use this more as a logbook for myself than anything. Because I am always changing it, it's tough to remember when I did what. This was my first car I got when I was 13, drove it all through high school and college, than kept making it faster and faster. I've now had it for 19 years. It's a 73 super, all steel, all motor, I built everything including the engine, trans, chassis, and I do all my own bodywork and paint. The only 2 things I didn't do on the car is balance the tires and bore the block and heads, and I was standing next to the guy that did the machine work. I also intend for all of those criteria to always be that way. Nothing against people that go other routes, this is just the way I like it. The car weighs around 1540 lbs right now with the fuel full and without me in it. Personal best times right now are 1.60 60 foot, 7.80 1/8th and 12.48 1/4 without enough 4th gear by quite a bit. The last 2 years I have finally found my groove and won a few races, and unbelievably this year I made slightly more than I have spent. No engine or trans failures helps that statistic quite a bit.
I'm not the fastest guy out there, but I get a little faster every year and that's what matters. My current goal is to get down around 7.55 or 7.60 so I can stay in Pro, but be one of the fastest guys in Pro. I don't want to be the slowest guy in Super Pro! My plans for this winter are more cam and compression, I am moving some weight around, I am removing around 50 lbs, and more gear. Now here's some pictures of the car in it's current state.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 472 Posts
Some more pics with one of my brand new son, he is almost 11 months old now. We put hearing protection on him and take him right in the staging lanes.

Attachments

See less See more
I'm a sucker for a super. And yours just flat works.
I have always liked your car from the first time I saw it on another site....

Plus I have a '73 super as well.

:canadian:
Thanks guys. My latest project on the car I have shown in another thread. I am in the process of making a fuel cell for it out of a cut down stock tank. I cut it down to around 3 gallon, I welded 3/8" threaded bungs on the bottom for the pickup and on top for the vent. I also welded up all the old vents and things and made a new filler. (not shown in the picture) I will buy some cell foam to control fuel slosh.

Attachments

See less See more
Looking Good Eric! I started out with a 73 Super Beetle Street Legal bug running Pro and I loved it. I drove that car all over the place. I ran low 8's in the 1/8th with it. Got Runner up at BugOut in the early 2000's. My Bro-n-law has it now with a 1776cc in it in Alabama. I miss that car,lol.

You gonna run the points next season?
Haven't decided what I am going to do next year Jerry. I will join the points regardless, just don't know how many I will go to. I am thinking about going to one of the events that is out of my normal circle, like Farmington or Pittsburg or Drag Night or something like that, but that will take away budget from one of my regulars. I have a soft spot for the Bugout.
Take some extra time off and come to Drag Night. There is a great party as well as an awesome race (because they put me in charge :drunks: :rump: )

Farmington may have a venue change this year.

And the car looks good. It is always crisp and you learned what it likes. We can tell because of all the WINS you have been throwing up lately. Hope to see you out this year
Yeah Scooty is right put Drag night on a must attend list its a good race and the ole Yankee does a pretty good job of keeping the lanes moving but he is a bit hard on his dad
The Yankee is hard on everyone when he's in charge.

Come on down to Drag Night. Make a vacation out if it for the family. Who knows, I migyt even do something other than talk smack and drink beer down there this year.
superdrag said:
Haven't decided what I am going to do next year Jerry. I will join the points regardless, just don't know how many I will go to. I am thinking about going to one of the events that is out of my normal circle, like Farmington or Pittsburg or Drag Night or something like that, but that will take away budget from one of my regulars. I have a soft spot for the Bugout.
NP Eric. I'm sure you'll do well regardless. That car flat out works!
Worked on the electrical today. I had an aluminum box mounted above the steering column with all my gauges and switches except the tach in it. I also used to have the battery in the trunk area. I moved the battery back to the stock location and built a thinwall stainless steel, sealed box for it. It's vented outside the vehicle, tech should like it. Anyway, since I moved the battery into the car, I figured I could simplify the wiring quite a bit by moving the switch/gauge box to behind the shifter. I also didn't like the box where it was because to start and stop the car I had to reach THROUGH the steering wheel spokes. Awkward, and probably not a good idea at over 100 mph. It is very user friendly now, and really cleans things up. Going to put the tach and shift light in the stock speedo location.

Attachments

See less See more
Everything is mounted, now all I have to do is figure this out!!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
All 4 of my side windows were lexan, but I still need the rear window and windshield. For Christmas I got the rear window, I'll get that in soon. Got it painted though.

Attachments

See less See more
I betcha that gigantor windshield weighs a TON!

Attachments

See less See more
when we redid my roll cage we move the battery to the stock position. Then we put the switch behide the gear shift it feel more comfortable now
Ya, I like having everything right there in one spot.

Attachments

See less See more
lookin good!! i have a 72 super convert fat chick, i"ve had mine since i was 14 (30 now)
its cool to see more fat chicks racing, I love mine!

but how are you going to see those warning lights if your eyes are glued to the track infront of you?
turbie said:
but how are you going to see those warning lights if your eyes are glued to the track infront of you?
I thought of that already, actually. Right now there are just there to kind of fill the holes that were in the panel already. The alt light I'm not too worried about, but I may put one big light up next to the tach for oil psi loss during the run.
1 - 20 of 472 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.