Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a reportedly rebuilt but never ran 1835 that has sat for 20 yrs, put it in an off-road buggy and drove it maybe 20 miles and it acted normal but ill tuned Moved it to my street Manx this fall, and replaced the crank seal to stop an oil drip. I didn't know anything about the endplay issue as I changed the seal and I ran it a few miles in the Manx to test it out. While checking the timing I just noticed the crank shifting back and forth a bit when I truned it using the alternator pulley. Used a dial gage to measure that movement at a whopping .032" of endplay as measured at the pulley with the engine still in the buggy.

Will this destroy the engine quickly, and have I already likely done some damage? Can this endplay get changed significantly in the process of simply changing the main seal?

Since it consistently measures to .032 with a dial gage, is it likely that just stacking .027" of shims in there will bring it down to a reasonable .005" of endplay? Or will some machining on the flywheel likely be required?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a reportedly rebuilt but never ran 1835 that has sat for 20 yrs, put it in an off-road buggy and drove it maybe 20 miles and it acted normal but ill tuned Moved it to my street Manx this fall, and replaced the crank seal to stop an oil drip. I didn't know anything about the endplay issue as I changed the seal and I ran it a few miles in the Manx to test it out. While checking the timing I just noticed the crank shifting back and forth a bit when I truned it using the alternator pulley. Used a dial gage to measure that movement at a whopping .032" of endplay as measured at the pulley with the engine still in the buggy.

Will this destroy the engine quickly, and have I already likely done some damage? Can this endplay get changed significantly in the process of simply changing the main seal?

Since it consistently measures to .032 with a dial gage, is it likely that just stacking .027" of shims in there will bring it down to a reasonable .005" of endplay? Or will some machining on the flywheel likely be required?
I'm afraid the damage was likely done before you aquired this motor. The case may be used up completely, or it may be that a line bore would allow a new set of oversize bearings. Some machine work on that crank would very likely be needed also. I'd look for a used late model case with decent internals before spending the money on rebuilding what you have now. IMO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts