Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
86x94 with 5.7's combo, fk89, ida's and 11 or 12:1, debating 910's or ce's in a full weight car. not a daily car only one or two days a week and most likely eves after work.

cb's full out ce's = 2000$
910"s im considering 2500$ ported and polished

trans type one 388 rp
sugg gear ratios ? help

car is only meant to show non vw's my backside :mad:

wayne aka chiller fixer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no replies?
just wanting some feedback from some of you high hp guys.
is it possible to get into the 10's in a norally aspirated street car (no n2 no turbo)
if i have to ill boost but no gas

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Word to the wise.. Because a VW launches so well, it takes a lot less to run with the big boys.. the first two gears should have you yard them on a less than pro prepped surface such as you might come across when the track is closed.. A good driver in a mid to low 12 second bug can spank a 500 HP Camaro. If you plan on a 10 second NA car at full weight plan on around 10 hours PM for every hour of operation..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems that the progas guys are running 10's with 044 castings. like i said this will not be a rules regulated car such as pra, etc. i plan on only taking the car to local grudge races when available, bakersfeild, fontana, etc.

vw vs v8 only:cool:

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
The Pro Gas cars are on the ragged edge.. When you see a 10 second PG car that car has probably 30-or 50 runs to dial it in.. Not All the PG cars are capable of consistant 10 second passes.. yes they can make 240-250 HP.. that is what is needed to run such times in a 1700 pound plus combo.But they run around 14 to one Compression, and 112 race gas.. you can do the same. build a light car and build a bit less compression.. 14 to one will be very touchy and if off can eat your parts and wallet... Bearings are a short term memory item. Build a 11 to one motor on the Progas specs. . .. you should have a nice combo that runs good on race gas. easier to tune and peppy ..I will say it again... FORGET A 10 SECOND NA STREET DRIVEN CAR> A well driven low 12 second will spank 90 % of the cars on the road today in a stoplight to stoplight dealio.. you could race on the street, but we all know it is wrong. If it is strip only with tags, then you can build a bigger engine than the 2332 that are the PRO GAS spec.. just try to get heads that flow about the same CFM per CC as the PG cars . Build it light ..

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
So that you can learn something. Go to the Wallace link above. Get on the calculators and you figure out how much hp it takes a car that you want to build go as quick as you want it to go. Then figure out how many cfm your heads will need to flow to get it there

Keep in mind the calculator is for a perfect run. It also doesn't take into acct our type of car either. And it doesn't take unto acct the wear and tear of semi daily druving. So add 30% to whatever number you come up with and shoot for that

·
Registered
825 Posts
Word to the wise.. Because a VW launches so well, it takes a lot less to run with the big boys.. the first two gears should have you yard them on a less than pro prepped surface such as you might come across when the track is closed.. A good driver in a mid to low 12 second bug can spank a 500 HP Camaro. If you plan on a 10 second NA car at full weight plan on around 10 hours PM for every hour of operation..
That happens all the time at the Willow Springs street legal drags, most high horsepower cars spin the tires all the way down the portion of the track they mark off for drag racing. AWD cars tend to beat everything else there, but I've never seen a quick VW run there.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
here you go. there is a ton of calculators they have created. Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators

also, your in vw mecca ... go talk to Clyde, Jack, Roger, etc.. these guys are legends in our world. they have built and are still building high hp n/a motors. you should go talk to these guys in person and take your notebook with you. you want a weekend type drag car that hauls butt.. any one of them can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
heads i was considering were from clyde, "roger" did'nt seem too interested in talking, steve tims & the paradise guys very willing. VP told me to have tims build some heads for me, said " i used to race against that guy, he does good work".

engine machine services says go with pro gas style or buy bare CE'S and have them go to work for 5$$$.00.

anyone buy the "race ready" CE'S? good, bad,ugly? or non stamped pro gas type heads?

any 240-270hp street cars without power adders?

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Just Google "Wallace Calculators" You'll find a calculator to figure out many hypothetical values such as flow, horsepower, ET conversions, etc.

Reactions: motor

·
Registered
996 Posts
heads i was considering were from clyde, "roger" did'nt seem too interested in talking, steve tims & the paradise guys very willing. VP told me to have tims build some heads for me, said " i used to race against that guy, he does good work".

engine machine services says go with pro gas style or buy bare CE'S and have them go to work for 5$$$.00.

anyone buy the "race ready" CE'S? good, bad,ugly? or non stamped pro gas type heads?

any 240-270hp street cars without power adders?
I bet Anthony Consorte, Johnie Walker, and Blake May are pushing that much. I say go turbo though. I have a Paradise engine that is 7+ years old that runs in the 10's on light boost and requires little to no maintenance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ive got two motors on the ground right now, one is a 2165 and the other is a 2332.the smaller motor has a dpr crank and the lager has a forged old cb that i have been holding onto fora while. where doi start if i wanna go turbo?, alsotalked to acn about squishi's today...

ive got two sets of italian 48idf's and one dell dhla. heads,1 set of str elims and a pp set of 044 both have 44x37.5 and big ports

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Really either motor combo is fine. Just use regular pistons. Put your money elsewhere. Get you a vac secondary 650 carb or 750. Just find something cheap. Get u an intake from carb to turbo. And a header . You CAN run a holley red or blue pump. I would get a return style regulator. MAKE SURE you have good ignition. Get a msd dizzy and some ignition box. Buy cheap jet box from summit for 20. BUcks. Run a cam in 265 to 270 ish at 50. Just run it straight up at 108. Run at least 9:1 comp.

Do this with the big motor and if you do it right you'll have a SOLID 9 sec car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just read this and :)!!!!
i have a close ratio trans 1-4 with 388 r&p but its geared for a sand rail would i be better off buying new or replacing the gear stack $? (shop not me)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts