Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 your old son recently acquired a 1974 beetle with a locked up 1600. I've rebuilt 1 Subaru ej255 several automatic transmissions and a few Chevy motors. It seems like there are endless options for kits.

I want to build him a fun motor but at the same time I don't want to turn him loose with too much. We live on the coast near the beach and the car has weld rims with 205/60/15 tires. I'd like to hop behind the wheel once in awhile also and have some fun- possibly on the beach

He'll be driving it to high school when the temperatures aren't to cold - Alaska

We were thinking a 1915 , 110-120 cam, 1.25 rockers, dual carbs, header with dual tips. If the motor turns out to be too much I could make a throttle stop ...

I've been reading through several build threads. Any experience with a similar combo or recommendations would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
There are so many combinations that it will boggle your mind . A 1915 set up correctly will be pretty fast , the choice of cam , heads and carb/carbs will determine how fast it is . An Engle 110 cam is a nice all round cam and when I used it with stock rockers /aftermarket shafts and a 2 barrel carb we had alot of fun driving it on the street. With a bigger cam I would go dual carbs 40/ or 44 and dual valve springs. Many people use 1.25 rockers with great success , me I buy a camshaft with the lift and duration I need and use the appropriate rockers for the cam. Mike McCarthy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts