Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58’ Fiat 600 VW Type-1 W/Rajay 40 10lb boost, Porsche fan/alternator,
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just purchased an interesting car and build. I have a few questions I’m hoping some of you can help with…

Here are the specs…
Case: Type 1 VW dual relief, from Rimco
Displacement: 1914cc
Crank: 69mm, balanced and wedgemated
Rods: Carrillo (forged steel)
Pistons & Cylinders: Cima 94mm (forged Cima Cylinders)
Rings: Total Seal
Cam: Web Cam 116
Oil: Racing Valvoline 20W-50
Heads: VW 040, Dual Port, port-polished by Rimco
Valve size: 40mm intake and 35mm exhaust (titanium)
Compression: 7.0:1
Rocker arms & shafts: Pauter Machine, 1.4:1
Pushrods: chromoly, 3/8-inch
Ignition: MSD 6AL, MSD Distributor, MSD coil
Turbo: Rajay 40 with Turbonetics 12lb wastegate
Carburetor: Dell’Orto 40 sidedraft
Intake manifold: Ron Lummus (custom)
Exhaust: Rob Lummus (custom), all stainless steel, all exhaust work done by Ron Lummus himself
Fanshroud: 911 style by Autocraft (crankshaft by Autocraft)
Dyno: 185bph on 10lb boost
Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Locking hubs Alloy wheel
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Gas

My question:
Can/Should I install exhaust cover and turbo blanket on this engine? I’m thinking tin is the way to go due to the oil dripping type of engine (possible fire hazard). Lol… but maybe turbo blanket is ok? Let me know, I’m getting to hot at stoplights! Lol 😂 Thanks everyone, Ryan

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would use tin to isolate your exhaust muffler from your engine bay. When you are sitting still, the heat of the muffler is rising right into it.

On a type 1 the piece of tin you are missing is called a breastplate, for yours it will likely be a fabrication.

·
Registered
58’ Fiat 600 VW Type-1 W/Rajay 40 10lb boost, Porsche fan/alternator,
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would use tin to isolate your exhaust muffler from your engine bay. When you are sitting still, the heat of the muffler is rising right into it.

On a type 1 the piece of tin you are missing is called a breastplate, for yours it will likely be a fabrication.
Thanks for the insight! Would you use Tin, or blanket to isolate turbo heat, or just leave it alone?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the insight! Would you use Tin, or blanket to isolate turbo heat, or just leave it alone?
I am not a fan of blankets or wraps, I use tin but that is just a personal preference so dont take that as gospel.

On your application, it may be unrealistic to try to modify a tin shroud so you may have to resort to a blanket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you! Yes, this little thing is quick! Really fun to drive.
Hello all,

I just purchased an interesting car and build. I have a few questions I’m hoping some of you can help with…

Here are the specs…
Exhaust: Rob Lummus (custom), all stainless steel, all exhaust work done by Ron Lummus himself
View attachment 14077 View attachment 14080
View attachment 14079
View attachment 14078
View attachment 14076
My question:
Can/Should I install exhaust cover and turbo blanket on this engine? I’m thinking tin is the way to go due to the oil dripping type of engine (possible fire hazard). Lol… but maybe turbo blanket is ok? Let me know, I’m getting to hot at stoplights! Lol 😂 Thanks everyone, Ryan
Hello all,

Here are the specs…
View attachment 14077 View attachment 14080
View attachment 14079
View attachment 14078
View attachment 14076
My question:
My old Fiat 50 years ago.
Vehicle Photograph Ecoregion Motor vehicle Green

·
Registered
7 Posts
My old Fiat 50 years ago. View attachment 14103
The weakest part was the Fiat transaxle and the rubber axle joints. The engine was a 40 horse built out to 1600. I modified a VW input shat and made the adaptor plate. I used 124 rear wheels. I paid $20 for the Moon fuel tank and the seats were patio chairs. The carb is a Bug spray.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

S&S headers. I drove it around Pomona, Ca. My friends would take turns hauling ass in it till the trans blew up. My friend Lloyd Moser owned the Little Giant Killer which he bought from Rich Bays. Lloyd chopped the top. Rich ran a Porsche engine. They used the VW transaxle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The weakest part was the Fiat transaxle and the rubber axle joints. The engine was a 40 horse built out to 1600. I modified a VW input shat and made the adaptor plate. I used 124 rear wheels. I paid $20 for the Moon fuel tank and the seats were patio chairs. The carb is a Bug spray. View attachment 14115
S&S headers. I drove it around Pomona, Ca. My friends would take turns hauling ass in it till the trans blew up. My friend Lloyd Moser owned the Little Giant Killer which he bought from Rich Bays. Lloyd chopped the top. Rich ran a Porsche engine. They used the VW transaxle.
Here is Frenchy's Fiat
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts