Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with UAC just celebrating 6yrs I along with the staff have been discussing changes that are needed and also could help improve the site

The website being down now and then the last month I am told is due to a 6yr old server and that we need to move to a new server, GREAT.........! Well do not want to have down time like we have been having lately, or worse lose any archived threads so will have to happen in near future at some point

The other change to hopefully improve the forum is a switch to a better yet more expensive forum software (layout) for better options that are available

There is an options to integrate with FaceBook so you could post and read the UAC from your FB page, or UAC also.

And adding photos similar to the way you do on FB

The Layout is similar to YellowBullet so there will be a an adjustment period for those not familiar with YB

When these changes are done there will be some limited down time but we will work with the techs to make it as quick and painless as possible.

Not sure when this will happen but wanted to float it out there for feedback and opinions prior to decisions being made

Thanks for your support and understanding past ,present,and future

Brian and UAC Staff

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you considering switching over to vBulletin over SMF? My wife does this stuff for a living, meaning computers and such. I can ask her if she has any opinions or has heard if one is better then the other as far as features and cost go?

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flattop said:
What kind of cost are we talking about Brian???

Wayne
Well it is not huge by most people standards , but is a small chunk

But will be working on it

I think the forum needs to do it to move forward and take advantage of technology out there

Just concerned for those member's with limited computer skills who have gotten where they know how to navigate UAC now
It will be a new software (Like YB) and these people might struggle learning the new software/layout.

But in the end suppose to be much easier

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
i like SMF cause it just that, simple. i dont really care for the bullet type forums. if i post something i cant go click the little icon to see "replies to my post" like here. the other thing then, your going to have every yahoo getting on and saying IO1 or some bs; kind of clutters the post up just so they know that someone posted. that is just more evidence of what i consider lack of accessibility.

the other thing is the search, i dont like it. so all those forum nazi's get on there and tell you to do a search for something. so, you go do a search and you type in a few words. there may well be some sort of answers to your question but you cant find it cause it brings up everything in the world.

thats my thoughts .. i have no clue to nav around it and i think im pretty good with some of this stuff

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dean N said:
i like SMF cause it just that, simple.
I do as well Dean, but SMF simply put is free and old (get what we pay for), and very very limited in tech help as well as options

Dean N said:
i dont really care for the bullet type forums. if i post something i cant go click the little icon to see "replies to my post" like here.
That very well could be an adjustments we could fix with the same software as YB. Adminisrators when setting up forum have pages and pages of options you click yes or no to whether to allow it or not. And that might be a setting they just chose.

Dean N said:
the other thing then, your going to have every yahoo getting on and saying IO1 or some bs; kind of clutters the post up just so they know that someone posted. that is just more evidence of what i consider lack of accessibility.
Another setting adjustment possibly I could change.

Dean N said:
the other thing is the search, i dont like it. so all those forum nazi's get on there and tell you to do a search for something. so, you go do a search and you type in a few words. there may well be some sort of answers to your question but you cant find it cause it brings up everything in the world.
That is 100% the forum staff, and I hope you realize I and the UAC would be different. I like to think were here to help with anything members might struggle with and were help to make your experience fun, not a hassle.

You know if you needed to find something you could PM me and I would search it out for you myself for you. And I think most if not all of the UAC staff would do the same

There are going to be issues like these you have pointed out for sure Dean and I hate that a change would put members through a learning period or force you to change when you do not want to. I am a person that hates change also.
And changing is not a hassle just for members, it will be for the administrators also as we have to learn the whole new tech side of things. And I am not a tech computer guys. I finally figured out the SMF ( what i don't know Matt helps thank God)and now we have to change, ****!

The options and benefits over there are just too many to ignore for much longer I am afraid

FaceBook integration, easy photo postings etc will only make UAC better in the long run

Not happening right now though, and I am doing more research before I change anything

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I notice on yb with pics, they don't upload any to the server, it's all via a kinj; which isn't a bad idea for you.

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
UAC has been loading faster today.. I sure hope that don't mean it is like a motor.. They always seem to run the best just before they take a crap...

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MagOO said:
UAC has been loading faster today.. I sure hope that don't mean it is like a motor.. They always seem to run the best just before they take a crap...
way to jinx us, thank magoo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.