Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1970 VW beetle, just installed dropped spindles, new shocks, and disc brake kit. All Empi FYI.
Wheels are 8 spoke empi.
Took it for a drive, and felt like the steering from left to right was harder or not as quick as it was before I put drop spindles on. Also a constant squeak on the front right when driving. The lower ball joint is very very close to rubbing the wheel, almost like it's to low. The drivers side almost seems lower but I greased up the beam already and bounced it without the shocks to get it loosened again.
Is there anything I can do to fix any of this? Or just go back to stock height?
I'm very frustrated hahaha and not many people around to help where I'm located.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I realized that the drivers side front sits lower then the passenger. So when my 250lb ass is driving it puts even more weight on that side and rubs the tore in the fender well. When it's sitting empty I can barely put my hand between the tire and fender. Passenger I can about for my whole hand between them. I've greased the beam, new shocks, what else could it be??? So far this forum is slow or a joke at getting answers out there lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess I will be going back to stock height. Getting some disc brake brackets and throw the old spindles back on. Thanks for all of your help here in this community!!!! Great group of people right here!

If you read this far, don't expect much help from this community and forum. I've seen other people ask for help as well and they have hundreds of "views" and not one damn reply or answer.
Must not be one mechanic in here that knows his rear end from the hole in the ground is what I'm getting, or they don't give a rats.......about helping anyone.
Not the welcome or expectation I ever had with the Volkswagen community at all. :poop::poop::poop:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will take a stab at an answer for you...

Do you have an adjustable beam? I will say probably not , no big deal.. Did you lower the rear of the car? Did not say otherwise so probably not, no problem.... What size front tires do you run? It seems like it is pretty low with just dropped spindles... If the front is say 2 in lower than stock and the rear is stock then the caster is off a few degrees. Try adding caster shims behind the rear of the bottom tube. Yes also get the longer bolts for them. If you installed the dropped spindles you should be able to do this. Next is to make sure the ball joints and the tie rods are NOT binding in any way. This is another issue you can have when lowering a T1. One other note is to make sure your shocks are not bottoming out. Good luck you will get there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts