Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you are old enough to remember cruising on a Friday or Saturday night at the main drag in your town?

Most cities and counties seem to have outlawed this fun past time due kids with no sense of right and wrong shooting each other etc.

I am disappointed my son won't be able to enjoy this right of passage I had into manhood.

This is where I learned the joy of smoking a V8 in my bug and watching some tough guy in a Camaro with his hot girlfriend get pissed and embarrassed at this loss to a lowly VW. ;D

I wish cruising was brought back if anything for this old man to enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
B Watts, I am right there with you on this. I remember many a cruise night in Woodland just west of Sac. That Woodland Cruise was very well known to the Nor Cal people as an event not to miss. I couldn't race anyone with my Bus back then, but I did pop the throttle repeatedly and get the Bus to jump like a lowrider and ya the lowriders didn't like that at all. I am surprised I didn't get shanked every time I did it.
Maybe thats another thing the UAF members need to see about bringing back as a BOR weekend event.

In response to your first question, I am old enough to remember. There I said it, so.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
I remember cruising a lot of different areas here in the eastern side of Sac County-Orangevale. We used to cruise around Sunrise Mall, but all the stupid things we kids did back then, shut that down. Well we went to Birdcage Walk which is right across from Sunrise Mall. It was ok, but never as big as Sunrise Mall. We also cruised the corner of Fairoaks and Greenback. They used Fairoaks Blvd for street racing. Cars would line up on Fairoaks going south and wait for the green light. First one to the top of the hill where it crested was winner. I don't know if there were any wrecks or not, and looking back, it was a very stupid thing to do.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sounds like most were up North. I used to cruise around Redlands, Rialto, San Berdnardino, Riverside, basically Southern California! Good times!!!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Used to be good fun to "hang out" on the weekend. Yea there would be a fight or two but so what?

It's when the gang bangers started shooting that the cops were forced to do something

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Downtown Marysville for me, the main road through town every Friday and Saturday night.... E Street. For such a small town, especially some 18 years ago, our cruise was pretty damn big-- several hundred people every weekend. My high school generation saw the last of those good times before the gang-bangers and all the punks screwed it up after 40+ years of history. The city outlawed cruising after a few gang-related fights and even a shooting, posted signs, and used roadblocks and a ton of cops to break it all up. It hasn't been back since.

Isn't our new American society swell? Just another memorable part of my young life that my kids will never get to experience for themselves. Seems to be the same ol' story everytime I turn around anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
padexc said:
i remember cruzin down town sac 4th and t ,sunrise and woodland 8)
I remember 4th and T being the redlight, hooker corner. You didn't cruise that stuff did you? LOL
Back in the day, our VW club did a lot of cruising on J and L street, downtown.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
We use to cruise 82nd ave in Portland Oregon.... It was one of the top ten cruis'n strips in the USA at that time.... There were what seemed to be miles of cars lined up in grid lock on a 4 lane road with every single bit of real estate was loaded up with people/cars the hole way...... It seems that every place that had great cruis'n has been shut down.....

What a shame to take way something completely harmless in comparison.... Now our kids go to unmonitored parties, get drunk, do drugs, have sex, and get in more trouble than they ever have (and they still street race).... We all know that was happening while we were cruis'n but, we had the boys in blue wathing over us to keep us in line.... I can bet that it cost less to monitor cruis'n in one concentrated area than have to it trouble spread about.....

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
North Avenue...Grand Junction Co. Early on we cruised a NA Manx. ( 12.90 ) car. Lots of fun and trouble. Now its a Turbo Manx (10.90 ).......even more fun and SCAREY.....but fun. Amazing how my foot thinks it 16 again.

SAFETY NOTE...Dont go on boost when approaching a stop sign....sometimes you go backwards through the intersection!

Disclaimer.......use at own risk, always wear your harness!

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
eric madson said:
North Avenue...Grand Junction Co. Early on we cruised a NA Manx. ( 12.90 ) car. Lots of fun and trouble. Now its a Turbo Manx (10.90 ).......even more fun and SCAREY.....but fun. Amazing how my foot thinks it 16 again.

SAFETY NOTE...Dont go on boost when approaching a stop sign....sometimes you go backwards through the intersection!

Disclaimer.......use at own risk, always wear your harness!
I would pay money to see some of that action, oh ya. Sounds like you recovered ok enough not to be in cuffs.

sometimes you go backwards through the intersection!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
We still do it here because its on the way to and from our local cruise-in every weekend. But nobody wants to play with a 4-cylinder with a 4 barrel, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Cruise nights are still pretty huge around here & the Philly burbs. Big cruise shows & with that came street racing & monster burnouts. Several hundred cars come out every weekend & if it's possible to build, it's there. The police are pretty relaxed about it because most of them are into the cars & the cruises. In fact, 2x's a year there is a special night dedicated to the older police cars & fire trucks. It was kinda cool to see an old Keystone Cop car light 'em up & take off. :D Although it's open to just about every make & model they did limit / restrict some of the newer imports from the show area a few years back in an effort to keep it old school & street rod rather than wanna be fast & curious.
One of these days I'll have to dig out & load the old pictures & videos to the computer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We had some great cruise spots in the SF Bay Area back in the 80's. Castro Valley Blvd was always packed...the good ole days.. Kyle mr rhd

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.