Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 1957 bug and I am having a problem with the front end.
After replacing the front beam the drivers side sits an inch lower than the passenger side. It is very apparent when looking at the car from the front and is confirmed by measuring the distance from the ground to the bottom of the fender. I have checked tire pressures and they are the same on both sides.

Any suggestions on how to level out the body.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
You gotta dig deeper. You mentioned measuring the fenders to the ground, can't do that, aftermarket sheetmetal can be way off from side to side. You said that this only happened after replacing the beam? Is it possible that you just NOTICED it after replacing the beam? Another thing to throw in the mix: if the rear suspension is off, for example if the right rear is set too high, it can jack the front left down. Are you using the same spindles and front end componants as before, or did you replace it all? You need to spend some time under the car with measuring devices to find out exactly what is off. Just some quick thoughts I had.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you lower the rear at all? What are the details on the beam as far as stock or adjustable?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Did you put the torsion springs in the exact same way they came out? I've seen them put in different and it will drop the car on one side due to the torsion springs having taken a set in one direction.

brad

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
the rear torsions as mentioned will do it if they are not at the same degree setting. if you do have aftermarket fenders, they can be off as mentioned by an inch. have seen that before many many years ago on a set of rear fenders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts