Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have reposted this thread under "fuel Delivery". My wife's 1960 VW bug has developed a fuel leak. I need help figuring it out (I'm not a great bug mechanic). My wife and I bought the car back in 1985. The drive train is all original (Numbers matching). We torn the car down and had it painted and then completely redid the interior. Nice little bug (baby blue). Beside the inevitable oil leaks, the car runs great! About 10 years ago, I replaced the fuel pump. At the time, I was able to get a complete unit. Last year, the car began running a little sluggish. I realized it had been a while since we tuned it up (it only gets driven a few miles a week). I tuned it up and rebuilt the carb. It ran great! But, I noticed it was hesitating on acceleration every now and then. I thought maybe I got the float adjustment wrong. But, after checking several times, it looks OK. The clear fuel filter looked empty. I figured maybe the fuel pump was once again going bad. So, I looked to buy a new one. I found I was only able to locate a rebuild kit. I got the kit and put the new diaphragm in. The car ran great for the first minute and then started flooding. Fuel gushed from the fuel bowl over fill tube and stalled the car. Tried many new needle valves with no luck. I finally found a kit with a new float. I also heard that an extra gasket on the fuel pump will decrease the pump pressure (I put total of 3 on). With the extra gaskets and a new float, I now just get a minor flooding issue. There is no fuel from the bowl overfill, but when I shut the engine off, i get fuel seepage from the top carb gasket and from the lower linkage (the butterfly assembly). I thought about upgrading to a newer carb (I have the original 28 PCI), but then saw there could be problems with vacuum to the dist.? Any thoughts? Thanks, Jeff

1 - 1 of 1 Posts