Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had this big smell of gas. Popped the deck lid and fuel was oozing from the feed line into the pump big time. So I ordered a new pump kit. When I tied to swap in the new pump. the stand was stuck solid, couldn't budge it. So I tried to put the new pump on the old stand. When I tried to put the fuel in line on gas just oozed and gushed big time.
So my questions are:
What to do>
How to get the old stand off? How to stop the gush of gas? I don't think I can even get it towed to the shop because of the gas "leak". The old and the new fuel lines were soaked through. That isn't right is it? It's the oem braided fuel line. How do I stop it from oozing out all over my engine?:eek:

Thanks,
MD

·
Registered
592 Posts
I guess I'm confused as to what you're experiencing. You replaced both the fuel lines going to the pump (in) and the fuel line leaving the pump (out, towards the carb)??? And fuel is leaking from where???

Is the issue that you cannot get the fuel line onto the inlet without fuel "gushing" out, or is the issue that you've connected the fuel line to the inlet and fuel is still "oozing" out from somewhere?

Understand that you have a gravity feed from the tank (this is why fuel gushed from the inlet hose), and if you did not replace the fuel line leaving the pump, you may have a leak at the hose connected to the outlet at the top of the fuel pump, as gas would leak down the pump and wick up the braided lining of the fuel line connected to the inlet (making you think fuel was "oozing" from the hose at the inlet).

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
With all this 'gushing' about going on I'd swear I was listening to a soap opera

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the line that feeds into the fuel pump, the line in the back is gushing out gas when I reconnect it to the pump. It spills out all over the pump even when connected. The braided line is brand new, and is now soaking wet. The old line from the pump to the carb was wet because of the leak from the rear line. right now I have no new line coming from the pump to the carb until I can get a handle on the line going in.

Also - I cannot get the old stand to come off. Any suggestions for that would be appreciated also.

and thanks, Fiatdude for your smarmy remark. I'm glad you are able to enjoy someone else's dilema.

·
Registered
592 Posts
the line in the back is gushing out gas when I reconnect it to the pump.
This is normal. Gravity pushes fuel from the tank to the pump. When this line is disconnected, fuel will flow out of it unless you elevate it above the level of gas in the tank.

The old line from the pump to the carb was wet because of the leak from the rear line.
If the line from the pump to the carb is wet, it is because this is where the leak is coming from.

Unless those two hoses are physically touching each other, there is no way for the leak on the inlet hose (bottom hose) to make the outlet hose (top hose) wet. My guess is that gravity is pushing gas from the tank through the inlet hose up the pump to the outlet hose, and a leak in the outlet hose is making that hose wet, and leaking fuel down onto the inlet hose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the line is leaking where it says IN in the pic. it is pouring out so much that the the entire top of the pump is a covered in gas and the line that says OUT was wet as well.
Right now the OUT line is off, when I reconnect the IN line gas comes pouring out all over. It gets everything wet.

What can I do then to get my fuel pump reconnected without getting everything soaked in gas?

Also, what about the old pump stand?

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Gravity.

Elevate the fuel line as high as possible, secure it in place, then have the car towed to a repair shop.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Have you taken the gas cap off? I was changing a filter the other day and my tank was pressurized and causing the gas to gush out like crazy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts