Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the visitors to this website can identify this gasket.
At the 4 o'clock position you can see 2 smaller holes on either side of the stud hole.

1) What are these holes for?

2) What position do they go when installing?

Guys like Newk or other transaxle builders are asked to refrain from answering.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
IIRC, those small holes indicate the gasket thickness. The gasket pictured should be a .2mm. As far as the position they're supposed to go, I have no clue but I'd guess you don't want them lined up with the holes in the preceding gasket.

Did I win? ;)

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ETR's response sounds very reasonable, but my sources differ. Maybe it's time for one of our transaxle builders to chime in.

In the meantime here is an easier one....

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rick Sadler said:
Oil Filler between the gen/alt stand and filler.
Rick is the Gasket Trivia Quiz Whiz (is that a surprise to anyone?) with 2 in a row.
I'll have to dig up another tough one. Hmmmmmmmm maybe a body gasket from some obscure location.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BadDogRacing said:
Most of the visitors to this website can identify this gasket.
At the 4 o'clock position you can see 2 smaller holes on either side of the stud hole.

1) What are these holes for?

2) What position do they go when installing?

Guys like Newk or other transaxle builders are asked to refrain from answering.

Still looking for an answer to this brain teaser. Who knows?, my information may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. If this one goes beyond the BOR weekend, I will post my "adopted" answer.

More will follow, and it will get more fun!

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
BadDogRacing said:
Still looking for an answer to this brain teaser. Who knows?
I'm sticking with my original answer-- the small holes indicate thickness: 1 hole, .1mm. 2 holes, .2mm.

More will follow, and it will get more fun!
Just wait....... its gonna get "more fun" than most people realize..............

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK.....it's past BOR 62. This site has officially gone public and we still don't have an answer to the question about the axle tube gasket.
OK Trans builders now is your chance to share your knowledge with this audience.
If no one has the same answer as me, I will post what I believe to be the correct answer tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
I allways put the two smaller holes striaght up don't know why i just allways have. I also have never seen any other size as ETR states with differant holes i think they all have the 2 holes.
Jerry

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
J. Matsko said:
I allways put the two smaller holes striaght up don't know why i just allways have. I also have never seen any other size as ETR states with differant holes i think they all have the 2 holes.
Jerry
So far so good Jerry! Now......do you stagger them or do they always go in the same position?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
ETR is correct, they indicate thickness. It's in the purple Haynes VW beetle & ghia 54'-79' manual, 1 hole is .004-inch and 2 holes are .008-inch. As far as position, I don't think it matters but positioning the holes up top would be my personal choice.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Thanks for the research, Lanky. And again, I'll stick with what I've said 3 times now--- the small holes indicate thickness.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
J. Matsko said:
I have allways lined them up maybe they work as a vent or breather.
That is what I learned years ago. The smaller holes work like a breather for the axle boot. Holes go up and they are lined up.
I have never seen one of these gaskets with a single hole but there is 2 part numbers that indicate thickness: 111-501-131 and 111-501-133.
I have ordered both part numbers over the years and they have the same 2 holes. Maybe something has changed over the decades. Some parts houses have dropped the second number and use 111-501-131 exclusively. I have found whatever thickness they send you, is what they have in stock, just the luck of the draw.
Maybe Rick Sadler or one of our other industry leaders can shed a little more light on this.

I don't have a purple Haynes Manual, but I'm pretty impressed that they would identify a gasket to that extreme. None of my shop manuals make any reference to the gasket thickness. Thanks for the resource Lanky.

This particular brain teaser was a great exercise. Hope others learned something, I certainly did.
Remember....you saw it here on UltimateAirCooled.com

I guess we have a 3 way tie
Erik
Jerry
and, Jason
Thanks for the input guys!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts