Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So A couple months ago I was on a mission to find one..I wanted something for us to be able to putt around in at the track and I am going to start towing my car I think if I go with a smaller cooling system. Since then I installed brand new tires and upgraded the Governor spring...They claimed 29 mph. It amazed me all the upgrades you can do to these..Mine is a G-16 with the 301 cc engine. Stereo mounted on the roof cover, headlights etc. I also found it was not getting full throttle and adjusted as needed. Well today was its maiden voyage and the cart was solid. I took the fam out to the track to help out Doug and get the family up to speed on how things flow. I called it a training day. My GF has a horrible sense of time but I was able to get her out of the house at 8:30 as I had planned. We forgot a few items and I mentioned to her those will be the things she is responsible for. Doug had a PP break so we were out before first round. We Stayed for first round and loaded up and split.. We found a couple things that we want to change on the cart..One is adding the rear seat conversion and I may even fab up an umbrella mount for the people on the rear..I saw one like that and it looked like a great idea. The other is a blanket of sorts for the vinyl seat..Alisha says its a must..It didn't bother me with long shorts..But her legs were burning. I'm sure the lift and wheels will come down the road but for now it will be minimal $$$ put into this.

Anyways feel like sharing your golfcart story or information? Tricks, gadgets etc?

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
dont get me started with golf cart stories.....

I will tell you, I painted my old one to match the car, be careful how much you lift, etc, it will only take up more space in the trailer or bed of your truck.

NEVER let ETR ride on the back. Unless its a sat nite bugo in front of the paradise crew....

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Brian I have a old G2 and I do not think we would ever go to the track without it. Not only is it for towing the race car , going to the JOHN, chasing down fuel. and all the thing you need it for, it is just for pleasure of taking one of the kids for a ride with you to chase down the racer.. In my mind it is money well spent. Plus my wife likes it......

Wayne

One thing you have to watch out for it can turn into a money pit... billet wheels, custom paint, stereo, motor up up grades, etc.etc.....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread! We were at our local track yesterday (first time since 2005!) and my wife noticed the racers with golf carts. We were talking and decided that once a few more things are taken care of, that getting a golf cart might be really handy! I will keep an eye on this thread so that hopefully I will get some ideas.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was money well spent. I had the kids right at the line on the return road. It helped give them a good experience without walking till your ass off. And like Wayne said.. They have every upgrade possible.
The rear seat I found is also the flip down model. . For the slight additional money going with flip down it seemed worth it just in case. It was $330 for the shinny diamond plate. $315 for black.. And since Alisha wanted it for the kids she paid for 1/2.. She paid for 1/2 the cart too.. She's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
A couple of years ago we had to pit at basically the finish line, after a day of my wife hiking all theway to near the starting line with the kids a few time she was ready to get a golf cart. Its an old yamaha 2-stroke, is hard to start due to neeing crank seals (next on the list to install after getting car done) its a beater but makes the day much better, also gives me some shade in the lanes and a place to keep some water and supplies. We painted it and got a set of smaller scale herbie graphics for it, I still need to narrow a set of bumpers for it and will be all set. The kids are always playing on it at home "driving" Herbie. I need to put a stereo in it so we can hear shat the track is saying.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
My golf cart story is I don't have one but want one badly. My wife is my pit crew and now we have one kid and another on the way. I am upgrading my battery and alternator this year because I don't want her to have to handle 1 1/2 kids and a charger and fan and generator. If the car doesn't start in the staging lanes, I guess I am done for the day. It would be sweet though to have her and the kids in the cart with all of the support stuff we need.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Nick Wharton said:
dont get me started with golf cart stories.....
X2! With a little help from your friends, your old neighborhood's landscaping will never be the same! :lmao: :rofl: :clapping:

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alisha's child hood family wagon. Dodge panel. It's her deceased fathers and now her brothers.. However he stores it here.. As well as a POS 4 cyl inboard outboard boat that needs to go to make room for my stuff. :) but I'll never say anything about the dodge. I roll it back and forth every few weeks to keep the parking police away .. Supposedly it runs and is registered.. Not for sale though.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
An add off CL...I think the guy is out of livermore and is in the business of flipping them..He claims he doesnt deal with junk...From what I saw out there this was a deal..I kept his number in case I ever wanted to get a hold of him again..I can PM you the info..He delivered it to me for $50

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
here is a pic of my golf cart, fun for the kids too
[img= width=800 height=478]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/realfastbug/IMAG1269.jpg[/img]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts