Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started going through some of my Dads (RIP) picture albums and came across some very cool old Drag Racing pictures. I am not sure where these pictures were taken, but they were from around 1959 or 1960 and we were living in Central Cal, Manteca at the time. The track looks like an old air strip, maybe.

I'm sure some of you 50 plus UAF members might remember races like these from back in the day.

Sorry for the poor quality.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Just have to love this type of stuff. Hidden in those shots are some really famous cars. Was this race seen and shot by the same person or are those hand me down photos. If this was seen in person...wow...to see the basics before it all got out of hand.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
eric madson said:
Just have to love this type of stuff. Hidden in those shots are some really famous cars. Was this race seen and shot by the same person or are those hand me down photos. If this was seen in person...wow...to see the basics before it all got out of hand.
Shot by Rich's dad!

He past away and Rich is getting through all his photo albums.

He had a view of these very cool huh!

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lance gregory said:
Wonder when the first VW hit the track and who it was? Anyone know?
You know Lance, when I was scanning these pics, I was looking for anything that looked VW.

My guess would be Mr Berg.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
buggdude67 said:
You know Lance, when I was scanning these pics, I was looking for anything that looked VW.

My guess would be Mr Berg.
Sorry, much earlier than that. I have a photo in my new book (out in November) of a Bug at Cal-Neva drag strip back in 1954... :)

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow Keith. Very cool shot. Bug looks like it has semiphores, so it's a late 53-54 or 55 maybe. Post more if you got them.
Can't wait for your book to come out.
Rich

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
WOW thanks a bunch for sharing those... I really dig seeing the competitive spirit and hands on deal that was racing then. Very few racers around like that these days........

·
Registered
180 Posts
That early track and photos of drag cars looks like Kingdon Drag Strip in Lodi ca. My dad ran D/gas around 1961/62 at that same track. The cool thing is I took my first solo flight at that same place some 30 plus years after dad!

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
57oval said:
That early track and photos of drag cars looks like Kingdon Drag Strip in Lodi ca. My dad ran D/gas around 1961/62 at that same track. The cool thing is I took my first solo flight at that same place some 30 plus years after dad!
Well my Dad was from Central Cal at the time these photos were taken, so you may be right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow! All I can say is that those pictures are priceless. The beginning of hot rodding / drag racing for sure. Too cool.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thank you guys for posting those! very cool pictures... so a rat rod can be any car? i don't think i have ever seen one in real life though, it would be cool to tho! danni

·
Registered
19 Posts
I raced at Kingdom from 1967 till 1973. My first race there was 1964 and I sure think that looks like kingdom in the mid 60'S

1 - 20 of 22 Posts