Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I've been out of the Bug scene for a while (about 45 years!) and am looking to get back in as a retirement hobby. I've been trying to refresh my memories and develop a building plan for a nice weekend/cars&coffee street runner.
One thing I am curious about is "narrowed front beams". I plan on doing a build with a ball-joint front end with disc brakes and dropped spindles. Why do people use a narrowed beam and what are the advantages and disadvantages of it?
Thanks for the add and I look forward to being a member of the group!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello PnP!
Let me be the first to welcome you.! This site isn't as lively as yesteryear's. There aren't as many VW enthusiasts around as in the past. But there are still some die-hards like me. I can't answer your question about "narrowed front beams". Hopefully someone soon will reply. I built a VW rat trike back in 1978 and still have it. I rode it for about 20+ years and it has been in storage since. I turned 66 this year and decided it was time to blow the dust off, upgrade and ride again. Originally my trike was a hard tail(no rear suspension) on a swing-arm transaxle. But at 66 I wanted a little more cushion. So met a guy that built a double-wishbone suspension for it. Unfortunately neither of us had any in-depth knowledge of VW tranny's. I had to reverse engineer his work and convert my trike to an IRS transaxle. It should be running in a couple weeks for further testing before painting. Checkout the before and after.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts