Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who have been following my build thread you know I am new to drag racing VWs but loving it! The car is running high 9s in an 1/8th mile but my 60ft times are terrible and the front end doesn't really pick up at all. Here's what I'm working with.

Engine is a 1600 turbo, probably around 100-110 hp. Best mph so far is 72.8 in around a 2000 lb car. Best Et is a 9.77 and it runs at 9.80 consistently. From playing with Wallace racing calculators it seems that the mph suggests my Et should be lower than what it is.

Suspension is stock rear and front is 2.5" drop spindles, thicker sway bar, and some really stiff bug pack lowered shocks. Car is a 1970 standard bug, stripped interior with two seats. No spare tire. Front tires are 185/65-15 rears are 195/65-15. Street tires all the way around.

I really think the car has the power in it to run low 9s in the 1/8th on the low amount of boost it is pushing currently but I can't get it off the line hard. If I jack the front end up my front wheels barely drop. My ride is super stiff.

Where do I start? The car 60fts 2.0-2.2 consistently with an occasional 1.8-1.9. If I could get it down to a 1.7 and a 9.30ish ET consistently on street tires I would be happy.

My plan is to ditch the lowered shocks for something that actually lets the front end lift on launch. I would like a 90/10 but I am confused about them. Lots of reading says the competition engineering ones are really just Chrysler v8 ones and are still too stiff for a Vw front end. I've heard to use a stock oil shock drilled out but can't find any oil shocks at my local parts stores. Junkyards are out of old bugs right now too.
Also I am considering losing the front sway bar. I will probably be going to a skinnier front tire soon, considering a 145r15. The car is street driven maybe once a week and only on sunny days, just country back roads 55-60 mph so I'm not worried about losing the front contact patch.

Help me get this bug hooking up!! Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
328 Posts
sounds like you got the right idea with your planned front end changes, loose the sway bar, the shocks you have are total opposite of what you need. the 90/10 competition engineering shocks worked well for me. you could probably pick up some good used stock shocks on thesamba

What tire have you got on the back right now? how much does it squat at the back

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Find a wore out pair of front shocks, do you have a select a drop front beam?, if you do I would pre load it to come up quick.
This will allow the front weight of the car to move to the rear quicker and improve your sixty foot times, good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will, rear tires are some freebies from work. Just some all season 500 tread rating firestones. As for how much it squats do you mean when I launch it? Not much if any. I'll try to find a picture.

Jerry, front beam is 100% stock. Just drop spindles. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
230 Posts
Usually once you get it to hook you will run a much slower MPH. THe high MPH comes from lack of traction and getting it into high gear sooner.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Found some oil shocks for the front and removed the sway bar. I managed to get shocks on one side of the car swapped over tonight. Here's a before and after picture of the drop out with the car jacked up in the air. Those old super stiff lowered shocks had the ball joints binding and didn't let the suspension drop AT ALL.

Hopefully between the shocks, lack of sway bar, and some tire pressure changes I can get this car to pick up a few tenths of ET

·
Registered
173 Posts
sixty-foot times

My '68 Beetle is similar: 2.5-inch dropped spindles at front (the rest is stock: shocks, beam, etc) and rear is stock except for bus snubbers, Mohr tranny mid-mount and engine support bar.

When I switched from 195's to the M&H 215/65's, it really helped my 60-foot times. My Beetle also weighs just over 2,000 lb with driver, but I've managed to pull off some 1.7-second sixty footers with tire pressure down to 17 lb. I don't do a burnout, just pull up to the staging lights and floor it:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input Neil, 1.7 60ft sounds real nice! Definitely want to get some of those MH tires or possibly a set of the phoenix 6" slicks.

Tires are on the never ending to do list!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scott, based on how terrible the car rode and the utter lack of tire drop out when jacked up I think the answer is no!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts